Burns Cobra

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Cobra

Postby ToneBB » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Hi, new to this forum so please excuse if these questions have been asked before!

I'm looking to buy a used Cobra, but know virtually nothing about them so I have a
few questions:

I think I read somewhere that the bodies have cavities. Obviously they have cavities
for the pickups and switches, but do they have other cavities like some other guitars
to keep the weight down? Basswood or Alder bodies? Heavier than a Strat?

Opinions pleased on the build quality as I suspect that they are made in China? Not
that I have a problem with Chinese guitars having two very nice Squier CV Strats.

I would be looking to buy one made post 2004 but pre 2010, is this the best era?

Thanks
ToneBB

Re: Burns Cobra

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:08 pm

Pre-2010 are certainly the best ones, after that the quality went down. You can tell the newer ones by the rearwards-inclined headstock without string trees. There is also an unsightly truss rod cover. I don't understand why as there was nothing wrong with the plain hole in my view - after all the headstock was painted to math the body so it wasn't too visible. There was also a scarf joint at the end of the neck (not that there's anything wrong with that). I believe some of the electronics and hardware may have been downgraded too.

I have owned both, and while I would buy an early one tomorrow (if I didn't have far too many guitars already) I wouldn't touch the newer one.

Having said all that, I notice that the Cobra DX has the older type head, so is presumably better, but it's twice the price so should be!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Return to Burns