Burns Marquee Pick up selection advice please.

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Marquee Pick up selection advice please.

Postby floppus » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:45 pm

1 have, and thoroughly enjoy using a Club Series Marquee Stock model which is pretty much everything I expected since I briefly played a Bison in the early 70's.I have experimented with the wide variety of on board settings but I would like to know exactly what the pick up /tone combinations are using the 5 position slider switch and also in combination with the push pull bridge pick up tone pot. Whilst this lack of understanding does not detract from the variety of sound when played through my 1979 Roland Jazz Chorus amp I am frustrated not knowing which elements of the electrics are active for each position.

Any information most welcome.

Thank you in anticipation.
floppus

Re: Burns Marquee Pick up selection advice please.

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Well I used to have a Marquee and I can't remember what the combinations were! But I have a Double Six and a Cobra, and they both work in the same way so this probably how it works:

Basically it's like a Strat except for the tone controls, the first one controls both the neck and middle pups, the second one just the bridge.

Selector switch is position 1 - bridge, position 2 - bridge and middle, position 3 - middle, position 4 - middle and neck, position 5 - neck.

When you pull up the second tone control, it adds the neck pickup to positions 1 and 2; in other words position 1 is bridge and neck together, position 2 is all 3, positions 3, 4 and 5 are unaffected.

Bridge and neck together are a nice rich sound, not unlike a Telecaster but a little quieter. All 3 together retains some of the timbre of the 'in-between' settings (positions 2 and 4) but again, a little quieter - a nice rhythm. When I was in a band that did Come Up And See Me by Cockney Rebel as our opener, I used all 3 for the rhythm and switched to neck and bridge for the lead part. This was on a Strat, but I'd wired it similarly.

Personally I think the best sound on a Strat is with neck and bridge together in series, but I can't get that!

I'm shortly going to rewire the Cobra so that I can.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Re: Burns Marquee Pick up selection advice please.

Postby floppus » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks for the information.

It makes perfect sense and is in line with the changes in sound achieved in the various positions.

I have a variety of different guitars but my 2 favourites are the Marquee and a Fender Mex Telecaster Nashville (with the factory fitted extra Strat pup). They are both so versatile and give close to everything that I get from all my solids and semi solids. (LP, PRS singlecut, 335, Rick 320)The only things that I got that they can't match are two jazzers, a 1942 Epiphone Zenith and a 1975 Antoria Jazzstar.
floppus

Return to Burns