Very Early White Scratchplate Burns Artiste

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Very Early White Scratchplate Burns Artiste

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Pat Bryan sent me this picture the other day but has not uploaded it. I know he has had a lot of computer problems so I have done it. It came from the Grimshaw site.
Frankie Allen and the Skyways.
Not many of these pics around
Attachments
image.jpg
(59.22 KiB) Downloaded 12843 times
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Re: Very Early White Scratchplate Burns Artiste

Postby RayL » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:00 am

There was a discussion about scratchplate colour not long back
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10729&start=10

At last I have seen a picture of another 'reversed-colour' Artist!

Although the plate looks white in a black-and-white photograph it is likely to be the same cream colour as mine.
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi Ray I remember the discussion and thought you would like it - the myth has been revealed. Strange to find it on the Grimshaw site. I think Frank Ellis joined the Searchers soon after this photo must have been taken
Billyboygretsch

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Sorry meant Frank Allen
Billyboygretsch

Postby RayL » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:45 pm

According to the Grimshaw site, the picture dates from 1960. The band is Frank Allen and The Skyways (presumably from West London as Frank Allen grew up in Hayes, Middlesex, close to Heathrow). He joined Cliff Bennett and The Rebel Rousers in 1961 and The Searchers in 1964.

In the picture, Frank Allen is on the right, in the stripy jacket. Because it's a Grimshaw site, the guy playing the Grimshaw guitar is named as Clive Smith, but the guy playing the Burns isn't named.

At this point I'm really hoping that Paul Day will leap in with his encyclopaedic knowledge of all things Burns and give us everything he knows about this picture. Paul, is this in your collection . . . . . . . .?
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:26 pm

Ray I sent the picture to Paul before I posted. He hadn't seen it before but may be able to help having had time to study it. It would be nice to know what happened to that guitar. I wonder if Frank Allen might be able to help. Anybody able to contact him
Billyboygretsch

Postby burnsbonkers » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks to Bill for uploading the pic for me.
I know of *possibly another white plated artiste apart from the one pictured and Rays.
A guy sent me a pic of a stripped vibra that he was selling. ( It is no longer for sale)
It also had a creamy-white plate. It looks original to me, however we can only speculate.
I believe these were the very earliest incarnations of the guitar.
burnsbonkers

Postby dusty fretz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:07 pm

I must admit I hadn't seen this shot before and didn't think of searching the Grimshaw site to find photos of equally old Burns! Thanks to Bill, I now have a pictorial record of half-a-dozen examples of this earliest Artist, including yours, Ray. All appear pretty consistent in terms of construction and components, which isn't bad for Burns guitars from ANY period, let alone this small-time, hand-building era!

Retailing for 49gns in January 1960, the cream/black plastic version represented the next step in the swift transition from the prototype 'Artistes' model (advertised in December 1959) to the black scratchplate-equipped evolution that soon appeared early in 1960, followed equally speedily by the much more familiar (and more expensive) vibrato-toting Vibra Artist.

The stated date of the photo is 1960 and coincidentally, the May 28th 1960 edition of Melody Maker includes an ad from distributors/retailers Besson & Co, stating: “Demo June 4th - Burns Vibra Artist & Bass with The Skyways & Mr. Ormston Burns”. This indicates the introduction of the vibrato version, which means that the fixed bridge, black scratchplate Artist was probably almost as short-lived as its cream colour predecessor.

It does confirm just how quickly Burns design ideas were changing and progressing during that formative time, with virtually only handfuls of each instrument type being built before significant amendments were incorporated. It's all very intriguing for those interested in this pioneering period, but research is equally fraught with frustration and confusion for anyone intent on trying to accurately piece together this particular puzzle. However, I like to think I'm nearly there!
dusty fretz

Postby HAIRY » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:30 am

You demonstrate yet again why it is time you wrote the UK's definitive history of the guitar and its influences on society during those formative years.
HAIRY

Full Real Name: Harry Ellis

Postby Billyboygretsch » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:58 am

Harry I too would so much like to see Paul write an up to date book on the Burns and indeed the Guitar. He has so much information knowledge and experience.
However I can understand the reasoning for not doing it. The work involved in doing this and also the financial resource needed - could it be commercially viable. Also the market for this (us) is diminishing as we old uns die off.
I am sure Paul has enough going on to keep him happy and busy (still has to finish his old Artiste). I am sure many would support him in helping with a project even if only Internet based.
Paul's decision, and I respect and thank him for all the help and advice he has given me with some of my projects and look forward to more snippets of information if there is to be no book.
A great journalist / writer and a great bloke
Billyboygretsch

Next

Return to Burns