Member's Profile Details

Where you can have your say about anything to do with the site

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Member's Profile Details

Postby BobGreg » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:55 pm

On the last site we used, it was possible to click any member's name and if they'd provided the details when joining it was possible to obtain more information about the member in question to get a feel about them etc., so for example (taking my details as a guide):

Personal Statement
Influenced by The Shadows in the 60s, then had a 30 year rest from guitar playing as education, employment, marriage and family took over. Joined Shadows Circle of Friend Australia - SCOFA - followed shortly by membership of the UB Hank Club and ShadowMusic, my interest was now rekindled.

My Content
Married with three daughters (one married with two young daughters). Now live in the Thames Valley area, but grew up in Sheffield where I formed a group in the 60s emulating The Shadows and The Ventures.

With my interest rekindled in guitar playing and supported by a work colleague, I returned to playing the guitar for pleasure and charity functions during the mid 90s. I contend that I got paid to stop!

Since early retirement in 2005 have not played in public - much to the pleasure of the many long suffering listeners!!

Interests
Interested in PCs and have extensive CD collection, especially The Shadows and The Ventures, gained through many internet contacts, especially the late John Panteny.

Parted with my Burns Vibra Artist in favour of a Burns Legend (custom build for Nick Kellie). Currently have a collection of Fiesta Red Strats and an original Burns Marvin, which was extensively restored by Alan Brason. Fortunate to have a 90's Black AV Bison and Marvin AV. Have a 60s Vox AC30, restored by the late John Harris, which incorporates Roger Allcock's modified Vintage unit. Also have a Vox T60 bass built by John Harris for my Fender Bass VI.

Life's just too short to get angry and upset others!

Does the mechanism already exist here and have I missed it?

If not would this useful to get to know the members better?

Just a thought!
BobGreg

Re: Member's Profile Details

Postby BobGreg » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:02 pm

I know there is limited space for interests in the existing profile, I was really looking for something more on the lines of the old site.
BobGreg

Postby Admin » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:08 pm

There's nothing other than the fields for occupation and interests by default. I could add a couple of fields for more information is there is enough demand.

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Site Admin

Postby BobGreg » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks Bob. I tried using the existing section with:

Influenced by The Shadows in the 60s, then had a 30 year rest from guitar playing as education, employment, marriage and family took over. Joined Shadows Circle of Friend Australia - SCOFA - followed shortly by membership of the UB Hank Club and ShadowMusic. With Hank touring and the availability of UBHank CDs my interest was rekindled.

Was persuaded to perform in 92 in support of Children In Need. Fortunately was supported by a work colleague (been a semi pro previously!), with BAes contributing a £1 for every £1 raised! Continued playing the guitar for pleasure and charity functions during the mid 90s. However, I contend that I got paid to stop!

Parted with my Burns Vibra Artist in favour of a Burns Legend (custom build for Nick Kellie). Currently have a collection of Fiesta Red Strats and an original Burns Marvin, which was extensively restored by Alan Brason. Fortunate to have a 90's Black AV Bison and Marvin AV. Have a 60s Vox AC30, restored by the late John Harris, which incorporates Roger Allcock's modified Vintage unit. Also have a Vox T60 bass built by John Harris for my Fender Bass VI.

Since early retirement in 2005 have not played in public - much to the pleasure of the many long suffering listeners!!

Life's just too short to get angry and upset others!

And got details too long and as it doesn't indicate how many characters you can use wasn't easy to decide where to make the cuts!

Maybe I'm just being too long winded!

A very quick response if I may add!

It may be that I'm in the minority but some guide to length would be useful though
BobGreg

Postby BobGreg » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:18 pm

Bob,

Looks as if the "demand" response is in single figures - one! :oops:

Perhaps opening up the current box to a larger number is more likely to minimise the extent of a change - incidentally how many characters are we currently limited to? :?

I suppose I'll have to put this one down as a good idea at the time! :idea:
BobGreg

Postby Amanda » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi Bob,

If the board is set to defaults, you are allowed 255 characters for the signature, so that
will probably be the same for the other profile fields.

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby BobGreg » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:07 pm

Thanks Amanda - I'll try to reduce the "verbose" nature of my input to 255 characters! :thumbup:
BobGreg

Postby BobGreg » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Amanda,

I think the limitation in Interests is more than 255. I've compressed my input to ~ 379 or thereabouts (including spaces)!

Thanks for you input :thumbup:
BobGreg

Return to Members' Comments