Cliff & The Shadows in Brussels, Belgium

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, George Geddes, JimN, dave robinson

Re: Cliff & The Shadows in Brussels, Belgium

Postby MeBHank » 10 Nov 2009, 16:27

I have just been reliably informed that one of Hank's amps is Top-Boost, the other is just a standard 30/6, so one would assume he (or maybe his guitar tech) switches between them to get the sound he wants for each individual tune.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Postby Gary Allen » 10 Nov 2009, 16:34

Anyone know why he did nt use the ac30/4 ?..gary
Gary Allen

Postby MeBHank » 10 Nov 2009, 17:18

Hi Gary...

Apparently he tried JMI's replicas of the AC15 Twin, the AC30/4, the AC30/6 and the AC30/6TB. He chose the two latter amps. The reports I was hearing before the tour were that he liked the sound of the two EF86 equipped amps, mainly the AC15 Twin, but seeing as he chose against them in the end I would assume someone advised him against them, maybe persuading him that that valve is problematic. That's only my guess, though it is an opinion that I share with others.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Postby Gary Allen » 10 Nov 2009, 17:21

Hi Justin and thanks for your reply...gary
Gary Allen

Postby Bartgitaar » 11 Nov 2009, 12:10

Thanks guys for all this info.

I have checked the net yesterday and I came to the conclusion that JMI stands for "Jennings Musical Instuments". Wasn't Vox made by JMI in the 60's or so ? So now they make amps of their own ? Greetz, Bart.
Bartgitaar

Postby Didier » 11 Nov 2009, 12:46

Bartgitaar wrote:I have checked the net yesterday and I came to the conclusion that JMI stands for "Jennings Musical Instuments". Wasn't Vox made by JMI in the 60's or so ? So now they make amps of their own ?

JMI (Jennings Musical Instruments) was the name of the company which created the Vox amps in the late fifties, and produced them until the late sixties.
The Vox brand has changed hands several times since then, and is now the property of Korg who makes the current range of Vox products.
As far as I know, the JMI brand is now the property of "Music Ground" in the UK, which makes a range of amps based on Vox original designs.

Didier
Didier

Postby David Martin » 11 Nov 2009, 14:11

JMI now stands for Justin's Musical Industries.... Justin Harrison is one of the owners of the company... and Music Ground.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Main Board