New Shadows CD

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Shadows CD

Postby Alan Taylor » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Martin, I think that Apache (#10) belongs with that first group.

Alan
Alan Taylor

Full Real Name: Alan Taylor

Postby Martin Page » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Alan Taylor wrote:Martin, I think that Apache (#10) belongs with that first group.

Alan

That makes sense Alan.

Martin.
Martin Page

Postby Pinner Fan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:38 am

Can someone who has the "Just About As Good As It Gets" CD please answer the following questions for me please.

1) Where track titles are duplicated am I correct in assuming that one is the mono version and one is the stereo version ?

2) If this is the case are these exactly the same recordings or (as per some of Cliff's) alternate takes, etc.
If so please, if possible, let me know the differences.

3) Are the tracks from South African EP in mono or stereo ?

4) The original SA EP tapes were destroyed I once read so are these versions therefore dubbed from vinyl ?

5) Are the Paris tracks from 1961 in mono or stereo ?

6) Are the tracks from the "Cliff" live album in mono or stereo ?

Is it just me or is there just no logic at all to the running order of these CDs ?? !!
Pinner Fan

Full Real Name: Frank Merrison

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Pinner Fan wrote:Can someone who has the "Just About As Good As It Gets" CD please answer the following questions for me please.

1) Where track titles are duplicated am I correct in assuming that one is the mono version and one is the stereo version ?

2) If this is the case are these exactly the same recordings or (as per some of Cliff's) alternate takes, etc.

4) The original SA EP tapes were destroyed I once read so are these versions therefore dubbed from vinyl ?

Is it just me or is there just no logic at all to the running order of these CDs ?? !!

Frank,

Some answers:-

1. Yes
2. No alternate takes
3. Mono
4. As there's no perceptible difference in sound quality, yes
5. Mono
6. Mono

As far as the chronology is concerned, it could have been better, I agree. The final track (i.e. the 1959 studio version of Guitar Boogie - to my mind, the most interesting track of all) could have taken pride of place in the order before the live tracks! It's also worth pointing out that F.B.I. is the processed stereo version, not the genuine stereo one that does exist.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:46 pm

The schoolboy I then was wrote to Norrie Paramor asking if that recording of "Guitar Boogie" could be released. He replied saying no and explained "the boys don't really like the number any more" Those were his words!
Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Fenderman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:57 pm

I was wondering that recording had been faded out early, it only lasted about 90 seconds and as it fades out they're all still playing away.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Arpeggio » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:26 pm

As I understand it....that particular recording came from a live show (ie it wasn't pre - recorded & slotted into the show). Luckily, producer Bernie Andrews apparently taped his own 'back up' (for reference purposes) & many tracks therefore survived in his own personal 'archive' (which lay forgotten for over 40 years!). To cut a long story short - those tapes are now in the possession of John Beecher at RollerCoaster Records. Anyway, I digress. Cliff & The Shads had rehearsed up a set number of tracks for the aforementioned show. But.....as the first half progressed the producer realised that they were c. 2 minutes of music short. Because of 'needle time' (M U ) restrictions - a record couldn't be inserted. Cliff didn't want to go live with anything unrehearsed. So....the Shadows were pressed into service with an unscheduled "Guitar Boogie". The track fades / cuts off as they were still playing when the programme cut to the news bulletin.

Bests....Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:25 pm

What a shame Bernie Andrews is dead, I'd love to have met him and never did when I had the chance.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby JimN » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Can someone who has the "Just About As Good As It Gets" CD please answer the following questions for me please.

Here are the tracks (wait for it...):

1. F.B.I. [mock stereo]
2. Quatermasster's Stores [stereo]
3. Shadoogie [mono]
4. The Stranger [stereo]
5. Apache [mock stereo - YES: mock stereo!]
6. Man Of Mystery [stereo]
7. Shotgun [stereo]
8. Baby My Heart [mono]
9. 36-24-36 [stereo]
10. Kon-Tiki [stereo]
11. Midnight [mono]
12. Stand Up And Say That [mono]
13. Feelin' Fine (The Drifters) [mono]
14. Mustang [stereo]
15. Nivram [mono]
16. Bongo Blues [stereo]
17. Driftin' (The Drifters studio version) [mono]
18. Back Home [stereo]
19. The Frightened City [stereo]
20. Theme From Shane [stereo]
21. Big Boy [mono]
22. Peace Pipe [stereo]
23. Gonzales [mono]
24. Jet Black (The Drifters studio version) [mono]
25. Saturday Dance [mono]
26. Chinchilla (The Drifters) [mono]
27. Theme From Giant [stereo]
28. Blue Star mono]
29. Don't Be A Fool (With Love) (The Drifters) [mono]
30. Find Me A Golden Street [mono]
31. Lonesome Fella [mono]
32. Jean Dorothy (The Five Chesternuts) [mono]
33. Teenage Love (The Five Chesternuts) [mono]
34. That's My Desire [mono]

1. Apache [stereo]
2. Shadoogie [stereo]
3. Big Boy [stereo]
4. Stand Up And Say That [stereo]
5. The Savage [stereo]
6. See You In My Drums [stereo]
7. Baby My Heart [stereo]
8. Find Me A Golden Street [stereo]
9. Gonzales [stereo]
10. Theme From A Filleted Place [stereo]
11. All My Sorrows [stereo]
12. Nivram [stereo]
13. Sleep Walk [stereo]
14. Blue Star [stereo]
15. My Resistance Is Low [stereo]
16. Driftin' (Live) [mono]
17. Be Bop A Lula (Live) [mono]
18. Jet Black (Live) [mono]
19. Shazam (Live SA - mono)
20. Guitar Boogie (Live SA - mono)
21. Sleepwalk (Live) (Live SA - mono)
22. F.B.I. (Live) (Live SA - mono)
23. Shazam (Live Olympia - mono)
24. Guitar Boogie (Live Olympia - mono)
25. Stranger On The Shore (Live Olympia - mono)
26. The Frightened City (Live Olympia - mono)
27. Man Of Mystery (Live Olympia - mono)
28. Nivram (Live Olympia - mono)
29. Do You Want To Dance (Live Olympia - mono)
30. Kon-Tiki (Live Olympia - mono)
31. Midnight (Live Olympia - mono)
32. Guitar Boogie (The Drifters - Saturday Club 1959 - live - mono)

There are no differences, except for the unpublished live tracks. Oh, and the mock-stereo Apache on disc 1 - where DID that come from?

Mono.

They don't sound like it. In any case, it is possible that some of the tracks still exist on tape from the various masters of South African compilation albums. They'd be tape-to-tape copies. On the other hand, it's easy nowadays to clean up recordings from scratchy vinyl or shellac. I've done a fair bit over the years.

Mono.

Mono.

Is it just me or is there just no logic at all to the running order of these CDs ?? !![/quote]

;)

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:59 pm

Arpeggio wrote:As I understand it....that particular recording came from a live show (ie it wasn't pre - recorded & slotted into the show). Luckily, producer Bernie Andrews apparently taped his own 'back up' (for reference purposes) & many tracks therefore survived in his own personal 'archive' (which lay forgotten for over 40 years!). To cut a long story short - those tapes are now in the possession of John Beecher at RollerCoaster Records. Anyway, I digress. Cliff & The Shads had rehearsed up a set number of tracks for the aforementioned show. But.....as the first half progressed the producer realised that they were c. 2 minutes of music short. Because of 'needle time' (M U ) restrictions - a record couldn't be inserted. Cliff didn't want to go live with anything unrehearsed. So....the Shadows were pressed into service with an unscheduled "Guitar Boogie". The track fades / cuts off as they were still playing when the programme cut to the news bulletin.

Bests....Rob :D

It would have been fun if they left the news bulletin in as well. It would be interesting to hear news from 1959!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows