New Shadows CD

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Shadows CD

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Didier
I think, as it says earlier, that Stranger on the Shore and Do You Wanna Dance were from a later show with Licorice but all the other tracks were the earlier ones with Jet, so your dates may well be right.
Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks, Didier, for your clarification of the position, though it seems the debate concerning these dates could continue indefinitely... interesting recordings, all the same! :)

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:12 pm

If I may add to the above, the two bass players are easily distinguished :)
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby Didier » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Iain_P wrote:Hi Didier
I think, as it says earlier, that Stranger on the Shore and Do You Wanna Dance were from a later show with Licorice but all the other tracks were the earlier ones with Jet, so your dates may well be right.
Iain

Then most of the tracks were probably recorded at the Musicorama on december 12th 1961, and those with Licorice later in september 1962 when the Shadows performed again at the Paris Olympia.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby JimN » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Didier wrote:...most of the tracks were probably recorded at the Musicorama on december 12th 1961, and those with Licorice later in september 1962 when the Shadows performed again at the Paris Olympia.

Didier

Does that mean that the earlier tracks feature the blonde Telecaster for rhythm guitar, Didier?

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Didier » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:38 pm

JimN wrote:
Didier wrote:...most of the tracks were probably recorded at the Musicorama on december 12th 1961, and those with Licorice later in september 1962 when the Shadows performed again at the Paris Olympia.

Didier

Does that mean that the earlier tracks feature the blonde Telecaster for rhythm guitar, Didier?

JN

I wasn't at the Olympia for the Musicorama show, I listened to it on the radio at home. When I saw Bruce playing a Telecaster at the Olympia, it was when the Shadows were playing as part (and top of the bill) of the "normal" Olympia program at a different time. This was also in 1961, or early 1962, I can't remember, but Tony and Jet were still there.
One thing is sure : it was after the release of the Shadows' first album, as the cover photo was the only one I had seen from the Shadows at this time, and this made me thought that the Tele was Bruce's usual guitar. It's only many years later that I discovered that it wasn't the case, and that the Tele had been borrowed for this photo !
I was very surprised when I saw them again in 1964 at the Paris Olympia. They were playing guitars totally unknown from me, but I was close enough from the stage to read "Burns London" which was written on their instruments. I then thought they had followed the "buy British" slogan of this time !... ;)

Didier
Didier

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Didier wrote:I wasn't at the Olympia for the Musicorama show, I listened to it on the radio at home. When I saw Bruce playing a Telecaster at the Olympia, it was when the Shadows were playing as part (and top of the bill) of the "normal" Olympia program at a different time. This was also in 1961, or early 1962, I can't remember, but Tony and Jet were still there.
One thing is sure : it was after the release of the Shadows' first album, as the cover photo was the only one I had seen from the Shadows at this time, and this made me thought that the Tele was Bruce's usual guitar

That narrows it a lot, because Tony left in October 61 and the LP came out only a few weeks earlier
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby Didier » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Iain_P wrote:
Didier wrote:I wasn't at the Olympia for the Musicorama show, I listened to it on the radio at home. When I saw Bruce playing a Telecaster at the Olympia, it was when the Shadows were playing as part (and top of the bill) of the "normal" Olympia program at a different time. This was also in 1961, or early 1962, I can't remember, but Tony and Jet were still there.
One thing is sure : it was after the release of the Shadows' first album, as the cover photo was the only one I had seen from the Shadows at this time, and this made me thought that the Tele was Bruce's usual guitar

That narrows it a lot, because Tony left in October 61 and the LP came out only a few weeks earlier

I am not completly sure that I saw this cover photo before their Olympia performance...

Didier
Didier

Postby hbmartin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:44 pm

hoffers wrote:Let's not pussyfoot around here and kid ourselves, fans really only serve a purpose these days to line the pockets that matter and in stark reality nobody really cares what we want released. How long have people been asking for Change of Address to be reissued on CD? That fell on deaf ears!!
The Shads own the copyright to that album so where's the problem? Instead we get Hank Plays ??? out again, and who would of asked for those to come out so soon? Fans? I don't think so.

TH

Looks like progress at last Tony. Leos Den confirm Change Of Address soon to be released on CD by Talking Elephant label.
hbmartin

Postby Martin Page » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:33 pm

I've got a bootleg with 25 tracks on entitled 1961/2 Shads & 1964 Cliff & Shads. The first nine tracks are obviously the ones on 'Just About Good as it Gets', the rest must come from the 1964 concert. All announcements remain on the CD:

1. Shazam!
2. Shadoogie (this has one verse from Guitar Boogie)
3. Stranger on the Shore
4. The Frightened City
5. Man of Mystery
6. Nivram
7. Do You Wanna Dance?
8. Kon-Tiki
9. Midnight

10. Apache
11. Nivram
12. A Little Bitty Tear
13. The Rise and Fall of Flingel Bunt
14. Apache (again!)
15. Da Doo Ron Ron (start of the tracks with Cliff)
16. The Young Ones
17. Boom
18. It's All in the Game
19. Constantly
20. Do You Wanna Dance?
21. Lucky Lips
22. La Mer
23. Bachelor Boy
24. WeSay Yeah
25. What'd I Say?

Martin.
Martin Page