New Shadows CD

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Shadows CD

Postby leddo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:00 pm

Cheers Jim. Another tenner bites the dust. Still with the old gas rebates coming our way we should all be rolling in cash later this year....yeah right.
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Postby anniv 63 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Have to say that the EMI tracks have transferred well on the mastering process and in my opinion have greater clarity than a lot of EMI reissues whether in digipack or budget label Cd format e.g. the Disky label.

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby Fenderman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Thats me ordered the new CD. Should arrive early next week.
I wait with baited breath...... :D
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Fenderman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:01 pm

The CD arrived today and is currently on, ive not got to the live tracks yet (just started the second CD) but the sound quality is excellent, i wonder if the company had access to the original master tapes? It certainly sounds like they did!
Glad (so far) i purchased it, even though Jean Dorothy and Teenage Love were a bit dodgy, certainly not Hank and Bruce's best!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby JimN » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Fenderman wrote:The CD arrived today and is currently on, ive not got to the live tracks yet (just started the second CD) but the sound quality is excellent, i wonder if the company had access to the original master tapes? It certainly sounds like they did!

Unlikely in the circumstances. Those recordings (or most of them) are currently out of copyright and it would be folly for Smith & Co to seek the assistance of EMI and enter into an agreement for any sort of payment.

What they've probably done is digitally extracted the recordings from EMI CDs and then tweaked them in the digital domain. It's amazing what you can achieve by that method - eh, George? Rob?

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Allegedly, Jim, allegedly!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby George Geddes » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:26 pm

I know nothing, nothing...

G
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Arpeggio » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Que?

Rob :)
Arpeggio

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:59 am

Bear in mind that this was a live broadcast intended for one-off consumption and consequently not mixed and recorded as well a studio recording would have been. But it seems to have come from a low-generation tape from inside the radio station (and not from an air-check over medium wave, as is the case with so many private archive recordings of the early BBC and Luxembourg material).

JN[/quote]

With no reference in Dave Travis's notes, as such, to the source of the Paris live tracks on CD2, is it known if they actually are broadcast recordings and, if so, via which station? Radio Luxembourg seems quite plausible, but it would be nice to know, particularly as the date information following the track listing is incorrect.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Didier » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:52 pm

GoldenStreet wrote:With no reference in Dave Travis's notes, as such, to the source of the Paris live tracks on CD2, is it known if they actually are broadcast recordings and, if so, via which station? Radio Luxembourg seems quite plausible, but it would be nice to know, particularly as the date information following the track listing is incorrect.

The Paris tracks come from the "Musicorama" radio show at the Paris Olympia by radio Europe 1. Radio Luxembourg (french program on LW) had no such radio show at this time.
I remember I listened at home to this Shadows' Musicorama radio show on Europe 1, but I can't remember exactly when, neither what the track list was. Some souces say that it was in end 1961, but this is not consistent with Licorice's version of "Stranger on the shore" on harmonica.
The Musicorama radio show took place on tuesday, which was the rest day for the normal Paris Olympia program.
Of course the Shadows were also several times top of the bill for the normal Paris Olympia program, and I attended such performances in 1961 and 1964, but they weren't recorded or broadcasted.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows