New Shadows CD

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Shadows CD

Postby UlrichS » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi all,

I have received my copy of this 2CD set yesterday and had a thorough listening to the 'November 1961' tracks. I can confirm that they are the same as included on the CD which is mentioned by Alan in post 107. However, all tracks are faded in and out and all the talking has been removed.

All tracks apart from "Stranger On The Shore" and "Do You Wanna Dance" originate from Shadows concerts at the Paris Olympia on 11th and 12th December 1961 with the line-up Hank, Bruce, Jet and Brian. Also on the bill were Billy Fury and Chubby Checker.
To my knowledge the complete set list was in this order Shazam / Shadoogie / The Frightened City / Man Of Mystery / Nivram / Kon-Tiki / Midnight / Apache / The Stranger / F.B.I. / See You In My Drums / The Savage.

The tracks SOTS and DYWD are from one of the shows the Shadows performed at the Olympia between 28th August and 15th September 1962, Brian Locking replacing Jet Harris.
Again to my knowledge the complete set list was (not quite sure about the running order) Shazam / F.B.I / Shadoogie / Midnight / Kon-Tiki / Apache / Little ‘B’ / Nivram / The Frightened City / Stranger On The Shore (Licorice on harmonica) / Do You Want To Dance (vocal Bruce and Hank)

I hope this helps.

Ulrich

btw, Brian Locking never played a clarinet. He got his nickname on a coach trip to Skegness when he was a member of the Harmonica Vagabonds together with Vince Eager and Roy Clark. On a break Vince bought a toy clarinet for Brian, a trumpet for Roy and a Saxophone for himself. All three worked similar to a kazoo and all three played the 'instruments' on the rest of the coach trip. On this evening Vince introduced Brian on stage as 'Licorice' Locking. Vince describes this story in his book "Rock n' Roll Files" and Licorice confirmed the story.
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Fenderman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:51 pm

So, is it worth buy for the live tracks even though there are several tracks i'll have many times over already?
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby aardvarkd » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:11 am

Yes, Roy. Well worth getting. The live tracks have a tremendous vitality and great tone, although the sound quality is understandably slightly 'aged'. In fact, the whole collection hangs together well and it's interesting to hear an unfamiliar sequence of classic tracks, partly as a way of comparing the sound characteristics over the time covered by the two CDs.
PD
aardvarkd

Postby AlanMcKillop » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:17 pm

It's a pity that the intro's have been cut, on the bootleg you hear everyone's attempt at speaking in French, Bruce introducing Lic on SOTS and Jet introducing Midnight. I have pre-ordered a copy of the new CD and if the quality is better, it'll be a worthwhile purchase. :thumbup:
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Somewhat unpromisingly, CD1 starts with that supposedly stereo, reprocessed abomination of FBI!

This is what it should be (stereo option link):-

http://mp3skull.com/mp3/f_b_i_shadows.html

Bill :)
Last edited by GoldenStreet on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Alan Taylor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Ulrich's post above (#111).

I have a different bootleg CD with those same "November 1961" live tracks which I knew had to be 1962 as Licorice is announced as playing on Stranger On The Shore... and yet the voice introducing Midnight sounded just like Jet!

So, many thanks for your detailed explanation Ulrich.

Alan
Alan Taylor

Full Real Name: Alan Taylor

Postby George Geddes » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Well, after what seemed ages, the CD arrived today. Worth it just to get the 'live' tracks from Paris! Mind you, I would have sacrificed a couple of the common tracks to get the 'live' chat but it's not really a big deal.

Nice cover pic. too, a variation on the first album sleeve.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Steve Parish » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:46 am

Good morning 'trainspotters' around the world!
I ordered a copy last night from Leo's Den... purely for the 'live' tracks of course. Although... looking at Ulrich's set list for the November '61 show... it would have been an extra little bonus if 'See You In My Drums' played by BB were on the CD aswell. Actually... both sets from the Olympia in their entirety would have been even better!
Oh well... hey ho! You can't have everything can you?!
I also ordered 'Established 1958' (I've only got it on LP) and the Jet DVD 'From There To Here', which I am especially looking forward to watching.
That's my weekend sorted then! Lovely jubbly!
:D
Steve
:)
Steve Parish

Postby leddo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:47 pm

What is the sound quality like on this new CD? Does it sound like a dodgy 1960s bootleg or does it stand comparison with the live at the ABC CD? I would hate to shell out on something that sounds like a load of muffled and garbled old tosh. I can make such sounds myself thank you very much...
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Postby JimN » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:51 pm

leddo wrote:What is the sound quality like on this new CD? Does it sound like a dodgy 1960s bootleg or does it stand comparison with the live at the ABC CD? I would hate to shell out on something that sounds like a load of muffled and garbled old tosh. I can make such sounds myself thank you very much...

The quality is pretty fair.

Bear in mind that this was a live broadcast intended for one-off consumption and consequently not mixed and recorded as well a studio recording would have been. But it seems to have come from a low-generation tape from inside the radio station (and not from an air-check over medium wave, as is the case with so many private archive recordings of the early BBC and Luxembourg material).

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows