Clips of "Apache" and "The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt"

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Clips of "Apache" and "The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt"

Postby iefje » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:44 am

I just came across these clips on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gidjZO9t5JA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChjdhGPVApw

It's a performance from the German "Musikladen" TV show. These clips are from 1981, but The Shadows mime to the original single versions from 1960 and 1964 respectively.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: Clips of "Apache" and "The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt

Postby Moderne » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 pm

Thanks Ivo - not seen these clips before. Presumably Brian playing a 'borrowed' kit...
Is there a list somewhere of instances where The Shadows had to mime to 'old' recordings?
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby iefje » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:59 pm

Moderne wrote:Is there a list somewhere of instances where The Shadows had to mime to 'old' recordings?

I don't know about a list, but I do know two occasions (one from the 1970s and one from the 1980s) on which they mimed to 1960s recordings:
1. They mimed to "Guitar Tango" in May, 1979 on the Dutch "Swinging Scheveningen" TV show, on which they also mimed to "Let Me Be The One" and "Theme From The Deer Hunter (Cavatina)".
2. They mimed to "Apache" in early 1983 on the Dutch "TV Show" TV show, hosted by Ivo Niehe, on which they also mimed to "Chi Mai".
iefje

Postby abstamaria » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:46 pm

I clicked on the link to Apache without reading the message and was surprised how faithful the rendition was to the original recording. It was so close in sound and style that I began to suspect, listened a second time, and decided the Shadows were miming to the original! I wonder why they did that. The fact that the original recording is instantly recognizable underscores how special it is.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:42 pm

I don’t know of a list but it was common practice in the TV industry and also in the theatre for groups to mime to recorded performances. It saved a whole raft of the technical challenges associated with live playing and guaranteed that the audience would hear an excellent rendition. If this Shadows lineup had done Apache and Flingel Bunt live on this occasion, the music would have reflected the experience and professionalism they had all acquired since the records were made in 1960 & 1964. I’m not suggesting it would have been better or worse, simply different. Also the fingering would have matched the notes and Apache would have come to a proper end!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby neil2726 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:41 am

I recall the Shads miming to Guitar Tango on a childrens TV show back in the day - the presenter had to call a halt to the rendition when the backing tape went wonky!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby neil2726 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:48 am

I recall the Shads miming to their latest release Guitar Tango on a Children's TV show. The presenter had to step in and end the rendition early when the backing tape went wonkey!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby iefje » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:03 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:If this Shadows lineup had done Apache and Flingel Bunt live on this occasion, the music would have reflected the experience and professionalism they had all acquired since the records were made in 1960 & 1964. I’m not suggesting it would have been better or worse, simply different.

Yes, it would have sounded like the recordings on the "Thank You Very Much" album or those in the style of the "'Live' At Abbey Road" album.
iefje

Return to The Shadows