NORTH NOTTS MEETING Sunday 21st April. 21 years up!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

NORTH NOTTS MEETING Sunday 21st April. 21 years up!

Postby pjr » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:31 am

Hi folks, here's youe 1 week notice for the Notts Club meeting on 21st April.
And yes, it will be 21 years since the club started. :thumbup:
So a very big thankyou to all of you for your support over the years, to R. Lass for the catering and to everyone who has helped to run it and make it a great success. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

So grab your favourite guitars and drumsticks and get yourself there for agreat afternoon especially as there's enough in the finances to make entry for this meeting FREE!

Now as you know this wonderful forum will soon be closing its doors to new postings and so I will set up either a Facebook page or a dedicated web site for the club soon. i'll keep you posted on that one.

Cheers for now,

Pete and Team North Notts.
pjr

Full Real Name: Peter J Richardson

Re: NORTH NOTTS MEETING Sunday 21st April. 21 years up!

Postby abstamaria » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:52 pm

That is fantastic, Pete. 21 years is quite an achievement. As this forum began about 21 years ago and I decided to learn to play guitar so I can play Apache, circumstances must have been right for the renewed interest in playing Shadows music then. The Final Tour was 20 years ago.

We are trying to organize similar events as your club meetings, not just for Shadows music, but limited to early 60s band instrumentals, such as those also by the Ventures, the Fentones, and so on. It is not easy as the likely suspects are mostly in their 70s!

Pete, how many Shadows enthusiasts, apart from general audience, attend your meetings? Particularly those who play? I'd like to get some idea on whether to persevere if attendance here is low. Your and the other Shadows clubs are an inspiration to us here on the island.

In any event, congratulations on your 21st year. May the meetings continue well into the future.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby pjr » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:20 am

Many thanks for your kind words Andy. It never entered my head that we would still be going 20+ years down the line!
And lets not forget that without David Martin starting all this off there probably wouldn't be any Shadows clubs here in the UK - I take my hat off to you Mr Martin. :thumbup:

Regarding attendees, the numbers can be variable and in general are getting smaller over time as most people these days are from the older age group.
The maximum number we ever acheived at a single meeting was 120 but that was about 15 years ago. At our club these days we normally expect anywhere between 30 and 60 (ish!).
The number of actual players can also vary quite considerably - anything betwen 15 & 25+. I am aware though that there are a few clubs over here that still survive with only a very few members.
So give it a try Andy. I'm sure you will really enjoy it not just the music but also the large number of friends you will make as a result of it. I most certainly have.

Good luck with your venture (no pun intended)!

Pete
pjr

Full Real Name: Peter J Richardson

Postby David Martin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:32 am

Bless you, Pete....

Best wishes to all your members....
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Return to The Shadows