John Rostill book - “Funny Old World"

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: John Rostill book

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:57 pm

Fenderman wrote:Hank and Bruce should do the same while they still can.

Bruce did one years ago - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Roll-Gave-Years-Shadows/dp/0670827053
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Moderne » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:59 am

Fenderman wrote:I'm surprised no one has asked Hank to do one or asked permission to interview him and write about his life.

Hank has stated that he doesn't want to write his autobiography as he doesn't want to have to include negative opinions about other people - which would be required by the publishers. I agree that someone should interview him and write about his life; it's over 40 years since Mike Read's book came out...
Something in a similar vein to Cliff's Head Full of Music book (which is out currently) would be a fascinating read...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby drakula63 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:58 pm

Bruce's book was published in 1989 and is well worth reading. Hardback and paperback copies can be found on ebay. Can I just mention that there was a copy of this on a bookshelf in Alan Hawkshaw's studio when I was there about ten years ago... I don't know whether Alan bought it himself or if it was a gift from Bruce. Hank has apparently been asked many times to write his autobiography, no surprise really. I gather that he is not interested. I too have heard that Brian's book, after many rewrites, will be published in 2024. Don't forget he's 84 tomorrow!

I have two photocopies of the John Rostill book, one complete, one incomplete, both sent to me by Rob Bradford many, many, many years ago. I shall be ordering the new edition as soon as it becomes possible to do so.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Fenderman » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:53 pm

I've got the Bruce one but that stops in the late 80's. Perhaps an updated version would be nice.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby JimN » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:29 pm

My copy of the (revised) Second Edition of "Funny Old World" arrived today (many thanks, Di, for the expeditious dispatch).

It looks beautiful and will sit beside my First Edition.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:09 pm

JimN wrote:You will love it, Iain!

Absolutely, Jim. Mine arrived yesterday; it’s a worthy update to the original book. The additions are highly relevant - the original letters particularly heartwarming - and the book sets the record straight about John’s death.

Recommended!

Leo’s Den has it
https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.php
Attachments
IMG_4128.jpeg
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Re: John Rostill book - “Funny Old World"

Postby UlrichS » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:46 pm

I have received my copy of the book a few days ago. Comparing with the first and second edtion I am very impressed what an improvement has been achieved. I can only thank Di Bradford and all involved for their work. In my opinion the book is a must for everyone interested in the life and music of John.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby iefje » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:22 am

I have received my copy last Friday and I must say it's definitely an improvement over the first edition, regarding presentation. However, both the first and this new edition are packed with lots of interesting facts.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:25 pm

I ordered my copy last night. Next purchase will the BB biography!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Previous

Return to The Shadows