The Scotsman Guitar

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Scotsman Guitar

Postby Apache1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:03 am

Somewhere on these boards I feel sure the Scotsman guitar must have been covered, but I can't find the thread, and I have tried the search box !
somebody must know what pickups are on this guitar and a little bit about the commission of this guitar through Fender ? Hank only uses it on one tune
on the live show "C'mon Everybody" and it certainly sounds completely different to his other Strats, What is known about this guitar ? ? ?
John
Apache1

Re: The Scotsman Guitar

Postby bgohara » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:03 am

Well John - it's a mex, and is one of three made - it was presented to Hank by the Scotsman newspaper in 2004 when the Shads were on their final your in Scotland. I think he also uses it with a dropped 'D' tuning for C'mon Everybody.

From memory I think it might have kinmans fitted now - and certainly an 'easy mute' arm.

Bernie
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby stratmantd » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 am

Hi John,

On the DVD extras there is a scene where Hank is seen setting up the Scotsman Strat to make the bottom E rattle to get the sound used in C'mon Everybody. This also explains why it was only used for that number.
stratmantd

Postby wstagner » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:01 pm

Low E is drop D tuned because the song is in key of D.
wstagner

Postby cockroach » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:34 pm

I thought Hank was trying to get rid of the string rattle with his guitar tech chap and his big screwdriver!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Apache1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks everybody for your comments, but does anyone know where we can get some official spec on this guitar, we can get the ins and out's of every other
guitar that Hank has played in the past and present, but this one seems a bit of a mystery ? Fender dont know much about this one as I have a personal friend
who works in the custom shop, and he doesnt know anything about this guitar so it is most certainly not a custom shop instrument.
I think it has a great sound and very different from hanks other guitars, I am curious to know what makes it different, other than the paint job ?
John
Apache1

Return to The Shadows