Johnny Dankworth

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Johnny Dankworth

Postby captainhaddock » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:27 pm

gogarrio wrote:Count my blessings I got to see the man once, September 3, 2008 in San Francisco. Amazing set. Amazing to think he scored two of my all-time fave movies: "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" and "Darling". And the them to the Honor Blackman "Avengers".

I could be wrong and appologise if I am, but I believe that John Dankworths Avengers theme was only used in the series that starred Ian Hendry and Patrick Macnee.Laurie Johnson was the composer of the famous Avengers theme for the Blackman/Rigg and Thorson years. Anyway here is a link to the John Dankworth theme:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVFZC2mDtcs
captainhaddock

Postby JimN » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 pm

The original "Avengers" theme by John Dankworth was used on all of the series which were made in ABC's own studios on videotape. That includes the very early episodes with Ian Hendry, as well as the slightly later period with Honor Blackman as "Cathy Gale".

The programme changed (from memory) in 1965, when Honor Blackman had left (initially to be Pussy Galore in "Goldfinger") and Diana Rigg came in as "Emma Peel". The production values were coincidentally completely changed from the moment that Diana Rigg joined the cast. The programme was then made on film (the first of those series in monochrome), with a view to American sales (where the production company was known as "Associated British" in order to avoid confusion with the unrelated American broadcaster ABC). The theme tune changed (to Laurie Johnson's composition) at exactly the same time, in order to change the feel of the intro credits.

In the videotape days, the stories had been straightforward suspense and cops and robbers stuff with a splash of espionage and international intrigue. But after the change to film, the plots became much less realistic - in fact, surreal and almost sci-fi.

Apart from Patrick McNee's presence, they could have been two different programmes - so unrelated was the Diana Rigg era to what had gone before. If ABC had simply changed the character's name from "John Steed" to something else, they'd have easily gotten away with calling the series by a different title altogether. As it was, Steed had a complete character make-over as well as becoming a fashion dandy and acquiring the use of some exotic 1920s Bentley.

Are you getting the impression that I don't care much for the later, silly, version?

I was 14 when it started. Even at that callow age, and with no expertise in dramatic criticism, I could see within ten minutes of the start of the first Emma Peel episode that this was a dumbed-down parody of what "The Avengers" had originally been.

JN (who also thinks that the Dankworth theme was miles better than Johnson's)

PS: I saw Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine live, just once, almost exactly 40 years ago at Liverpool University's Student Union. That academic year (1969-1970), the SocSec was excellent, bringing the Buddy Rich Big Band, Tubby Hayes, John and Cleo, John Mayer/Joe Harriot and Rahsaan Roland Kirk to the SU. And cool enough to open ticket sales to anyone who wanted to come.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby captainhaddock » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:32 pm

I stand corrected. I must admit that of the famous 60's TV series, The Avengers is not one of my favourites,but it is far superior to the movie version with Sean Connery, Uma Thurman and Ralph Fiennes. That may just be a candidate for worst movie ever made?
captainhaddock

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 pm

JimN wrote:The production values were coincidentally completely changed from the moment that Diana Rigg joined the cast.

I didn't care about that. I was at an impressionable age and fell instantly in love with Ms Rigg. With the fickleness of youth, I also fell in love with Linda Thorson....

There again, the impression Johnny Dankworth made on me musically was also important :)
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby cockroach » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:58 am

JImN,

Agree absolutely- although I continued to watch the later Avengers series too- always reckoned Patrick McNee must have been a lucky bloke to work with Honor Blackman, Diana Rigg, and Joanna Lumley! Wonderful beautiful talented cultured British ladies- what a late mate of mine used to describe inelegantly as "posh totty"...... :oops:

I always preferred Jonny Dankworth's original theme too- I even worked it out on the guitar a few years back- lots of descending then ascending major sevenths in fast tempo...although the later Avengers theme music was a classy evocative piece of composition too.

There was indeed some terrific TV and film theme music back then from around late' 50's to mid '60's, on USA and UK films and TV shows- lots of jazzy stuff, and quite a lot of guitar led themes.
Route 66, Avengers, Naked City, Edgar Wallace Theatre (Man of Mystery) , spy and detective TV and films (Johnny Staccato, The Cheaters, Peter Gunn, etc) and of course all the westerns often with the main melody on electric guitar or 6 string bass/baritone guitar- Bonanza, Magnificent Seven...great stuff.

Back to Johnny, I saw he, Cleo and their bands three or four times here in Australia when they used to tour- they often set up a table in the theatre foyer after the concert, where they would meet and greet, autograph records, programmes etc- I even got to chat once to Cleo- lovely woman, and so talented- as was John of course, and their later bands included their son playing bass, so it was a family thing too.

I bet she misses John terribly- they were married in the late '50's I seem to recall- there was a bit of a stupid 1950s media controversy about it back then, because it was a "mixed marriage"- typical of the crap folks had to put up with back then.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby JimN » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:10 pm

Dankworth Avengers Theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDy_-dvMCNs

Laurie Johnson Avengers Theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8leqISFyUCM&feature=related

...admittedly with better technical standards.

Johnny Dankworth African Waltz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKBaZgIdq8M
Johnny Dankworth Moanin':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK92L8wxFv0&feature=related

Both of those (A-side and B-side of the same 1961 EMI-Columbia single) were cover versions (of Cannonball Adderley and Bobby Timmons respectively), but they more than did their job in bringing these superior pieces of music to public attention in the UK, an aim that Sir John and (as she now is) Lady Dankworth never tired of.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Previous

Return to The Shadows