Alan Hawkshaw dies

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Alan Hawkshaw dies

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:09 pm

Sad to report the death of Alan Hawkshaw, accomplished musician, composer and keyboard player who worked with The Shadows. The news is announced on his website.
https://www.alanhawkshaw.com/news
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Re: Alan Hawkshaw dies

Postby JimN » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:33 pm

Sad news indeed.

I met Alan Hawkshaw just once (at the October 1997 SCOFA Event in Central London), and he rang me a couple of times in connection with that and to discuss possible retail outlets for his CDs.

A great musician and a wonderful composer whose music touches more lives than anyone will ever be able to count.

R.I.P. Alan.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:10 pm

Desperately sad news, as Alan was taken ill a few weeks ago but appeared to be getting through it and out and about again. One of the best, RIP Alan and thank you.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby George Geddes » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:06 pm

I met Alan at the same event as Jim did. When I introduced myself, he immediately asked if I had found a copy of the LP which I had written to him about, months before. More recently, we had an interesting email discussion about aspects of religion.

He was on great form at the British Library KPM concert which Iain P and I attended.

Superb musician, brilliant composer and thoroughly nice guy. Condolences to his family and many friends. RIP.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby drakula63 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:30 am

Deeply saddened to hear this. Met Alan several times, the last time being about five years ago. The computer on which I am typing this was bought for me by Alan, so that I could view and log hi-def video footage. He was a great bloke and true legend within the business. So sad to think that we'll never meet again. Condolences to Chris, his wife, his children Kirsty and Sheldon and everyone who knew him. His music will live forever. R.I.P. Alan.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:56 am

Gee, another member of The Shadows family gone. I like the contribution he made to The Shadows' legacy and of course his solo work, library music and collaborations with Brian Bennett amongst his large catalogue of work. He and Brian were great friends, this must be a great loss to him. R.I.P. Alan...
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:35 pm

George Geddes wrote:He was on great form at the British Library KPM concert which Iain P and I attended.
George

Indeed he was, back in 2018. You hear Alan all the way through this video from the concert and occasionally he makes it into shot, keep your eyes to the left of the screen. (Keith Mansfield conducts the KPM All Stars. Brian Bennett and Clem Cattini were in the audience, blink and you’ll miss them.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=augqMK4-GqA
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby George Geddes » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:08 pm

Three years ago, this weekend, if I am not mistaken... What a night of music that was!

Nice tribute to The Hawk on BBC1 News this Sunday lunchtime.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby iefje » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:39 am

For those who don't know, these are the recordings The Shadows made with Alan:
- "Snap, Crackle And How's Your Dad", "San Francisco", "Last Train To Clarksville" and "A Better Man Than I" from the 1967 album "From Hank, Bruce, Brian And John". The last three have not been documented as featuring Alan, but very most likely feature him, because those tracks are from the same recording sessions.
- "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue", released as a single in 1969.
- The entire 1969 Japanese album "'Live' In Japan".
- The entire 1970 album "Shades Of Rock".
- "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "You're The One That I Want" from the 1979 album "String Of Hits".
- "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" from the 1983 double compilation album "The Shadows Silver Album" and the 1983 album "XXV" and later also on the 1986 album "Moonlight Shadows".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:13 am

iefje wrote:For those who don't know, these are the recordings The Shadows made with Alan:
- "Snap, Crackle And How's Your Dad", "San Francisco", "Last Train To Clarksville" and "A Better Man Than I" from the 1967 album "From Hank, Bruce, Brian And John". The last three have not been documented as featuring Alan, but very most likely feature him, because those tracks are from the same recording sessions.
- "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue", released as a single in 1969.
- The entire 1969 Japanese album "'Live' In Japan".
- The entire 1970 album "Shades Of Rock".
- "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "You're The One That I Want" from the 1979 album "String Of Hits".
- "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" from the 1983 double compilation album "The Shadows Silver Album" and the 1983 album "XXV" and later also on the 1986 album "Moonlight Shadows".

And, of course, it's worth noting that he plays on both Marvin, Welch and Farrar albums from 1971. Not strictly The Shadows, but you know what I mean. He also appears with them (presumably miming to Dave Lawson's keyboards) on at least one edition of Top of the Pops from 1979. This would be his last 'appearance' with the Shadows.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Next

Return to The Shadows