Making it Happen

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Making it Happen

Postby fzrsew49 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:56 am

I am fortunate (with many others) to attend a number of Shadows related music clubs in and around the M25. Last night it was the Surrey Shadows and the same faces were there once again organising and playing the songs/tunes for the audience to participate in. These friends dedicate their time and “set-up” plus “break camp” without the audience in attendance and as far as I know never complain. I wanted this to go on record during what is still for some, difficult times. Thank you. Stewart
fzrsew49

Full Real Name: stewart wood

Re: Making it Happen

Postby bazmusicman » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:14 am

Well said Stewart.

They all deserve a round of applause from us all.
I played in bands for 5o years so I know what a chore it is setting up and tearing down equipment, and your the last one to get home.
Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby Teflon » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:16 pm

Yup, I have to agree with Stewart. Without their effort, folk like me would never get to experience playing with a live band. I still find it terrifying, but the buzz I get more than compensates. Over and above that, club nights also provide an objective for my playing, so there is always a reason to keep practicing. All of which is only made possible by the bands and musicians who so freely give up their time to put in the hard work to make these nights happen.

Some 35-40 years back, I had some friends who played in a working band, and I would often tag along to help them set-up and break down the equipment. As has already been mentioned, you're the first to arrive, and the last to leave. Everyone involved in running these clubs deserves a massive "thank you", and should know that their hard work is very much appreciated.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:53 pm

Hear hear!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby RayL » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:56 am

Agreed that praise is due to those who run the clubs and set up the gear and derig it at the end.

I used to attend the Surrey Shadows Club. I went for two reasons, to listen to the music and to meet people.

I stopped because although the music was good, there was no break. Once the list of guitarists wishing to play had been gone through once, they all got a second go. There was no break in between. Understandable, because a lot of people wanted to play and that was the point of the club.

However, it was impossible to have a conversation with anyone, even if they were sitting at the same table, unless a) I shouted in their ear or b) we went outside.

Is a Shadows club a concert, or a social event?

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Return to The Shadows