Bruce With the white Telecaster

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Bruce With the white Telecaster

Postby Teflon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:43 am

I've read old interviews with Bruce where he has said the white Telecaster was just used as a prop for the album cover and that he couldn't recall ever actually playing it. I know that footage exists of him playing it though, so he was just "mis-remembering" (hardly surprising given how long ago it was, and how many gigs he must have played). However, I have to admit I'd not seen this particular clip before, from Cliffs ATV show playing "Mumbling Mosie".

No doubt already been seen by many members here, but new to me. A great performance by Cliff & The Shads :) . Really wish they would re-master all these old clips and give them a proper Blu Ray release - never going to happen though.

Clif
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Re: Bruce With the white Telecaster

Postby JimN » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:48 am

One thing you can see from this clip is that it was taped after The Shadows entered the JMI deal for loan-guitars (Jet is playing the red bass adorned with his initials), which casts doubt upon the usually-supposed date some time around the spring of 1961. Hank is still playing 34346.

The website http://www.cliffrichardsongs.com/crseries/ indicates that these shows were taped by ATV in January 1961 for transmission over the following ten or twelve weeks. How reliable that is is anyone's guess, but it makes some sort of sense because of that mixture of guitars, still involving the 1959 Strat but also a new FR bass and the blonde Telecaster (or perhaps "one of the blonde Telecasters").

Bruce' does seem to have been fairly promiscuous in his use of electric guitars around that time: he was photographed with, and seen using, the sunburst Jazzmaster, his orange Gretsch 6120, the blonde Telecaster and the red R/N Strat delivered in the spring of 1961.
Last edited by JimN on Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:46 pm

My guess is that Jennings had a consignment of various models of Fender guitars and were offering them to the Shads to try out and find the ones they liked best. That would be a very feasible explanation.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby GoldenStreet » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:40 pm

On Willie And The Hand Jive, from the 1961 ATV series, with the same Strat/Tele combination Jet is playing his sunburst PB...

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:17 pm

They really were very good at all that. Great to see it again.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby George Geddes » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:45 pm

Many many years ago, I wrote an article for the SCOFA magazine about the 'Shadows sound'. I sent a pre-publication draft to Bruce. He phoned me and we went through the article, resulting in some useful snippets of information. However, he had absolutely no recollection of the all-white Fender lineup! I had to send him photos, both with the white Strat scratchplates and the later tortoiseshell ones.

It was clear in my mind that part of the Burns 'look' was based on making the guitars similar in colour scheme to the previous Strat lineup.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:31 pm

[quote="Teflon"] ... Really wish they would re-master all these old clips and give them a proper Blu Ray release - never going to happen though./quote]

Certainly not for that one - exploiting someone's speech impediment for musical purposes would surely be seen as politically incorrect these days!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Didier » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:40 am

I saw the shadows live on stage at the Paris Olympia in 1961, and Bruce was playing a white Tele, while Hank had the fiesta red Strat and Jet a sunburst PB.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby JimN » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:46 am

Didier wrote:I saw the shadows live on stage at the Paris Olympia in 1961, and Bruce was playing a white Tele, while Hank had the fiesta red Strat and Jet a sunburst PB.

Didier

I think we have previously established that this was December 1960, mon ami!
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RayL » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:17 am

While the instruments are being played live on the Mumbling clip, Wllie is being mimed to a backing track (apart from Cliff's vocal?). As discussed in previous threads, that means that the instruments seen on stage are not necessarily the instruments that were used for the track.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Next

Return to The Shadows