Hank with his 1958 Strat

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank with his 1958 Strat

Postby richard_kolendo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:36 pm

New interview on Youtube from Concept Music in Australia with Hank and his ‘58 Strat he used in the 80’s.

https://youtu.be/vc4X3ILl-RI
richard_kolendo

Full Real Name: Richard Kolendo

Re: Hank with his 1958 Strat

Postby Gatwick1946 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:25 pm

I enjoyed this interview. I didn't expect to learn anything new but, I have always wondered about Hank's choice of guitar (pre strat, as I believe that was influenced by Buddy Holly). Why did he change from the (borrowed) Vega guitar to the Antoria (not a well made instrument - I know, I've got one!). Now we know - he wanted an instrument that looked like a USA made, rock and roll guitar. His choice was based on the appearance, not the sound or playability.

A lot of americans prefered the Gretsch instruments (ie Eddie Cochran) . I cannot think of any well known Fender users circa 1957, apart from Buddy Holly and James Burton. I think several jazz players tried the early telecasters, but the fashion then was for Gibson, Hofner type, hollow bodied guitars. I have seen photographs of Gene Vincent's Bluecaps with white Fenders, but I am not sure of the date.

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Phrygian » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:47 pm

Gatwick1946 wrote:

A lot of americans prefered the Gretsch instruments (ie Eddie Cochran) . I cannot think of any well known Fender users circa 1957, apart from Buddy Holly and James Burton. I think several jazz players tried the early telecasters, but the fashion then was for Gibson, Hofner type, hollow bodied guitars. I have seen photographs of Gene Vincent's Bluecaps with white Fenders, but I am not sure of the date.

Kindest regards,
Christopher

There were some Fender players in the 50s that were well known within C&W and blues music. One of the first and best was Jimmy Bryant. He was an incredible guitarist and helped establish the Telecaster as the guitar most associated with C&W music. Muddy Waters also played a Tele in the 50s.
Phrygian

Full Real Name: Bob Lalich

Postby tolo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:10 pm

I think it was a really nice interview - H was gracious as ever - although I do wonder if he isn't totally fed up of talking about the same things over and over... Clearly the people making noise in the shop towards the end didn't realise who he was - but he seemed to take it all in his stride. I like to hear him talk of Newcastle (my home town too) - he does it in a fond and respectful way... I know from a source that he also happens to still actively follow the Toon!

And here, in this interview he states categorically, for the first time that I have heard anyway - that he doesn't want 34346 back from Bruce. And you know what - I think he means it!
http://www.tonylowther.com

ProTools 2020 - UA Apollo - Furman AC210 - 10.13 - i7 3.4Ghz Quad - 32G Crucial DDR3
tolo

Full Real Name: Tony Lowther

Postby Gatwick1946 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:37 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks for reminding me about Muddy Waters - Jimmy Bryant I have had to look up online - sad to learn the Big C got him aged only 55.

But I have reminded myself about Don Rich(also sadly left us too soon) and Buck Owens, and their silver-sparkle telecasters!!

Kindest regards(to the Windy City)

Christopher
Gatwick1946

Postby Gatwick1946 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:59 am

At the risk of going off topic, something I have not heard Hank explain much about is, how, as the possessor of the first stratocaster in the UK, he got to deal with the technical aspects of the stratocaster?

1 Who did he go to for advice?

2 Did it arrive already set up?

It has taken me (and probably other members of this forum) many years to learn to keep a strat in tune, float the vibrato arm, get the action I want etc - and I have had the benefit of the internet to call on.

I expect that Hank, as a professional musician, had the connections and was able to confer with other guitar players. Also I expect that, even in the 1950's, there were guitar techs (albeit anonymous) to consult.

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:20 am

Hank later sold the black Vega to Bruce who can be seen using it from about the time 34346 arrived and in the club scene in Expresso Bongo.

Gatwick1946 wrote:I have seen photographs of Gene Vincent's Bluecaps with white Fenders, but I am not sure of the date.

Johnny Meeks, who joined the Blue Caps in 1957, was the white Strat man.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:16 am

Thanks Bill,

I must do a bit more research online. I can only, from memory, think of Joe Brown and Bert Weedon who Hank would have chatted to about guitars/amps etc. - but neither of them were Fender players then (1959). Hank does mention some other names, but they would have been older chaps who's grounding was in Jazz/ dance band music.

It was Hank, when he describes how he tried a wound third - but surely (when was this datewise?), he would have known how to adjust the vibrato arm to compensate for heavier gauge strings? Perhaps (seems unlikely??), he just handed his guitars to his roadies, to take care of??

Perhaps there is this devide between the stars who play the guitars, and the mechanics/luthiers who take care of the technical side? ( like Louis Hamilton does the driving and other people build the cars??)

Its a mystery,
Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Postby RayL » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:32 pm

Before this 'Hank had the first Stratocaster in the UK' thread goes too far, a thread from 2015 explored the topic. Paul Day confirms that Bob Rogers of the Ted Taylor Four had a Strat in 1957 and I have memories of an advert from around that time which showed Malcolm Mitchell with one.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13174&p=92636&hilit=Malcolm+Mitchell#p92636

Perhaps it's safer to say that Hank had the first Fiesta Red Strat in the UK.
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:31 pm

Crikey!

I remember the Ted Taylor Four (had their 45prm M1 - presume this was recorded about the time the M1 opened in 1958).

So maybe Hank missremembered - was a long time ago!

A few more people who could have given Hank a few tips:-

Eddie Silver - owner of the Vega guitar, said to have been about 23 years old when Hank borrowed it in 1958.

Tony Harvey - used to sit in with the Chesternuts? in the Two I's basement.

Tony Sheridan - Lost out to Hank (bit of bad luck methinks) to be in the Drifters for Cliff's first tour, but did Hank ever meet Tony?

Ike Isaacs - wrote The Rumble on the Shads' 2nd LP.

Ivor Morrantz - not sure if this the correct spelling, but I recall he owned a music store in Denmark St and wrote some guitar tutors?

This a quote from Hank in 'The Shadows by Themselves & Royston Ellis:-

"My teacher was the experience gathered twice nightly at shows throughout the country, and the tutor-books which started me off in the early days.
Being in the business, I often meet other guitarists. It's from them that I pick up whatever tips I can, as we chat about our instruments".

Chas McDevitt - lent his strat to Hank (did Bruce borrow it as well?)
when Hank broke a string. Hank later got a Gretch as a spare on stage. (no roadies in them days, apart from Sam).

Michael Cox and The Hunters - on the same bill at Colston Hall in Sept 1960.

Finally I wonder who Hank met on their first US tour? Joe Brown has spoken of the advice he got from Eddie Cochran about banjo strings etc.

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Next

Return to The Shadows