Memorable stage moments

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Memorable stage moments

Postby MikeAB » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:33 pm

I had cause to chat about special memories of particular bits in some shows the other day, and these were some of my non-Shadows examples.

Genesis - the Cinema Show instrumental break/the last half and ending of Supper's Ready/the In The Cage medleys in general

The Moody Blues - the dramatic live ending to Nights In White Satin/the Justin Hayward guitar break in I'm just a Singer in a Rock 'n Roll Band/Ray Thomas' flute solo in Legend Of A Mind. And the time a spotlight fell down onto the stage and missed John Lodge by only a few feet - it would have killed him but he just kept playing!

Barclay James Harvest - The Poet/After The Day

Sky - live version of Meheeco

Cliff - Ocean Deep with the laser field

The Who - We're Not Gonna Take It

And so to the Shads!

The lighting for Equinoxe on the 1984 tour (Blackpool I think)

When Hank (in the background centre of the stage) came in on Chariots of Fire

Hank's first solo tour - the 2 I's medley with Mystery Train etc

Mountains Of The Moon

And regretfully Hank missing through illness at the Astoria/Rainbow (so no original members on stage - the only time?).

What special memories do others have I wonder?

Mike
Last edited by MikeAB on Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Re: Memorable stage moments

Postby Teflon » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:17 pm

I rember seeing Cliff perform Ocean Deep with the laser show - I think it was his "Silver" tour. Very impressive! I was also fortunate in having a good seat at the Liverpool Echo Arena for the "Re-united" tour. Toward the end of the concert, Cliff attempted "Move It" when this happened:

Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby TimRyland » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:11 am

First time I saw Blue Oyster Cult at Birmingham when they first did their laser show. Recently an interview with Buck Dharma described the show and it seemed they were using high powered industrial lasers. Lucky we all didn’t end up blinded.

Sat by the cricket club at Cropredy Festival on a warm summer night with a cold beer listening to Fairport Convention practicing Sailing Boat. Incredibly haunting, a moment I’ll never forget.

First time I saw Rory Gallagher at Birmingham. Subsequently saw him 15-20 times. A great talent taken far too young.
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Postby MikeAB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:38 am

Prompted by the industrial laser story I recalled seeing the Genesis tribute band The Musical Box who used a surprise and excessive thunderflash ( I think they're called that?). I sometimes think I still have a little retina damage from that
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby iefje » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:52 am

My father and I went to see The Who in concert at the Ziggodome in Amsterdam on July 2nd, 2015, during their "The Who Hits 50!" tour. At the end of the show, Roger Daltrey wanted to thank the audience, but soundman Bob Pridden had already turned off his microphone. Roger tried to get the attention of Bob to get it switched back on again, but Bob didn't notice, so Roger angrily moved the monitor of rhythm guitarist Simon Townshend and I think Roger also shouted something to Bob. Pete Townshend then walked towards Roger to calm him down. It's already six years ago, so I don't quite remember what happened next, but I think Roger's microphone was switched on again and Roger thanked the audience. Classic hostility during a Who show.
Last edited by iefje on Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:55 am

Longer ago, on April 19th, 2000, my father and I saw Hank Marvin live in concert for the very first time. During "Guitar Tango", Ben Marvin broke a string and stopped playing, after which he walked on and off the stage. Hank played the lead alone for the rest of the number with Warren Bennett on sole rhythm guitar. Warren got a special round of applause for that.
iefje

Postby iefje » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:58 am

MikeAB wrote:The Who - We're Not Gonna Take It

You mean during the Woodstock Festival in 1969?
iefje

Postby bgohara » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:00 pm

MikeAB wrote:I had cause to chat about special memories of particular bits in some shows the other day, and these were some of my non-Shadows examples.

Genesis - the Cinema Show instrumental break/the last half and ending of Supper's Ready/the In The Cage medleys in general

The Moody Blues - the dramatic live ending to Nights In White Satin/the Justin Hayward guitar break in I'm just a Singer in a Rock 'n Roll Band/Ray Thomas' flute solo in Legend Of A Mind. And the time a spotlight fell down onto the stage and missed John Lodge by only a few feet - it would have killed him but he just kept playing!

Barclay James Harvest - The Poet/After The Day

Sky - live version of Meheeco

Cliff - Ocean Deep with the laser field

The Who - We're Not Gonna Take It

And so to the Shads!

The lighting for Equinoxe on the 1984 tour (Blackpool I think)

When Hank (in the background centre of the stage) came in on Chariots of Fire

Hank's first solo tour - the 2 I's medley with Mystery Train etc

Mountains Of The Moon

And regretfully Hank ill at the Astoria/Rainbow.

What special memories do others have I wonder?

Mike

Interesting, Mike. When was Hank ill? And was the show cancelled? I loved all the banter on the shads tours / some of it was a bit close to the knuckle, between Hank and Bruce. Like Hank saying (on the final tour). ‘I just want to address something head on..some of you may have heard that Bruce and I haven’t spoken in 14 years…actually, it was 15” ✌️
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby jigsaw » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:34 am

I booked to go and see Cliff and the Shads at Finsbury Park in 1969, I’m sure it was the Astoria. It was after Bruce “left” and Alan Hawkshaw took his place. The curtains opened and only Brian Bennett, John Rostill and Alan Hawkshaw were on stage. John took to the mic and announced that Hank was ill. Because of this, they only played 3 numbers, Nivram, Exodus and Little B. In the second half, if I remember correctly, Cliff was accompanied by the Brian Bennett Band which included Alan and John but I can’t recall the rest.
jigsaw

Full Real Name: Brian Gittins

Postby UlrichS » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:28 am

jigsaw wrote:I booked to go and see Cliff and the Shads at Finsbury Park in 1969, I’m sure it was the Astoria. It was after Bruce “left” and Alan Hawkshaw took his place. The curtains opened and only Brian Bennett, John Rostill and Alan Hawkshaw were on stage. John took to the mic and announced that Hank was ill. Because of this, they only played 3 numbers, Nivram, Exodus and Little B. In the second half, if I remember correctly, Cliff was accompanied by the Brian Bennett Band which included Alan and John but I can’t recall the rest.

This was on Friday, 7th November 1969. Hank missed also the concert in Birmingham the next day. And due to Cliff's illness the last two concerts on 14th (Liverpool) and 15th November (Manchester) were cancelled. Ill-fated tour?
The only other solo act apart from Cliff and The Shadows were Marcie & The Cookies.
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Next

Return to The Shadows