NEW RELEASE: Cliff Richard Live On Air 1966-1970

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

NEW RELEASE: Cliff Richard Live On Air 1966-1970

Postby iefje » Tue May 18, 2021 11:38 am

Scheduled for June is a new release with (I think) BBC radio recordings by Cliff Richard from between 1966 and 1970 on a double CD. I presume the first nine tracks are by Cliff Richard & The Shadows.

https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=2239&controller=product
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: NEW RELEASE SOON: Cliff Richard Live On Air 1966-1970

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue May 18, 2021 12:02 pm

Sounds very interesting for the Shadows era material.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Arpeggio » Sat May 22, 2021 5:06 pm

Indeed the first 9 tracks do feature Cliff backed by the Shadows. For all of the other tracks (with the exception of "Throw Down A Line" - when he appears with Hank Marvin), Cliff is backed by a variety of Orchestras (eg Mike Leander). An interesting release for sure...containing almost all (but not quite) of Cliff's 1966 - 1970 BBC material. Well worth purchasing as a lot of this has (to my knowledge) never appeared on LP or CD. I am assuming that these tracks must be remastered from a mixture of 'off air' recordings and / or BBC Transcription Discs. Certainly Warner Music showed no interest in issuing any of this material from the BBC mastertapes when I contacted them about it just over 2 years ago..NO INTEREST whatsoever!!! So, once again, it is left to dedicated fans to ensure that others can hear these rare recordings - which would otherwise be condemned to languish in the vaults. I feel pretty sure that Warners have not licensed masters to any recording company that I know of. Still, a very interesting and worthwhile project. I shall certainly be ordering a copy if only for the Cliff / Shads tracks alone!!
Arpeggio

Postby Arpeggio » Sat May 22, 2021 7:43 pm

So.....All of the surviving Cliff / Shads tracks from the period 1966 - 67 (there are still 4 from 1963, which are clearly deliberately omitted). This set is missing a few Cliff only tracks from 1966 - 70: A Taste Of Honey / Big Ship / I Saw The Light / I Who Have Nothing / If I Should Leave You / Let It Be Me / Move It (other versions) / R'n'R Medley. BUT...it has a few tracks which no longer exist in the BBC Archives: All My Love / Dizzie Miss Lizzy (later version) / Marianne / When I'm 64. (There has also been a conscious decision to not include Christmas material). All in all, an essential purchase for Cliff / Shads fans. :D
Arpeggio

Postby shadowfax » Sun May 23, 2021 5:55 am

I'm unsure whether to buy this CD.
The last budget CD of Cliff singing on recording from the dawn of British R & R and this came as a duo actually being a more at the same time, with the Shadows FBI CD, was, as it happened, a bit less than I had hoped for.
If memory serves, the recordings were reminiscent of tunes more usually associated with being sung as part of a Las Vegas lounge act of the period with only a scant acknowledgement of Rock and Roll. The cover indicated otherwise though meaning the once only outing the CD received will like stop right there.
I based my purchase of this CD on the cover pic, but should have been mindful of the well known titbit of advise about not judging a book by......etc etc.
The companion CD, FBI was in contrast an absolute Treasure and I enjoy giving this one a weekly outing.
I do hope the neighbours do too coz I don't spare the volume.
shadowfax

Full Real Name: Donald Thompson

Postby Arpeggio » Thu May 27, 2021 10:15 am

It's always a risk. But, I think, as a general rule of thumb: Many 'limited edition' / circulation 'Bootlegs' which came out years ago were indeed often of dire quality. They were always, inevitably, 'under the counter' and 'grey area' because they were, in those days, illegal. Then - recordings (before Copyright Law Changes) made during the 1950s and up until December, 1962 came into the public domain - resulting in lots of legal PD LPs / CDs.

Now...as far as live radio Broadcasts on the BBC....I am fairly certain that recordings of that type up until 1970 can now be legally released. As I mentioned in a previous post. The 9 recordings on this CD of Cliff Richard / Shadows are ALL in the BBC Archives. Most of the Cliff Richard tracks (as mentioned) are IN the BBC Archives. BUT....neither Warner Music / BBC have any interest in releasing them. I find it truly surprising that they do not believe that such a relase would sell 10,000 copies. Cliff Richard still has a very big worldwide following and, naturally, there is still currently a lot of interest in the Shadows. But....I can assure you (because I approached them with the idea)....there will never be an 'Official Release'. To my mind, it borders on insanity!!!! But...for the big labels (who own a lot of material by hundreds, if not thousands of artists in their vaults)....back catalogue for many acts is not of interest to them..it doesn't make enough money for them to even have to bother about. Reissue labels like Cherry Red could be interested. But...there would be a 'double whammy' for them. The problem being that they would not only have to license the tracks from Warner Music, but they would also have to pay fees to the BBC as well....so, for companies like that....although they might be happy with say - 2,000 - 5,000 sales...the problem of having to pay, effecrtively, two lots of fees would make such a project very, very risky financially.....so they would probably not take the risk.

So...the ONLY way fans are ever going to hear these tracks is via CDs like this. I will stick my neck out and suggest that it will be properly re-mastered material from someone who has access to rare BBC Transcription Discs + maybe a few good quality 'Off Air' tapes & so the sound quality should be excellent. The days of the 'dodgy' bootlegs are over. Fans won't really accept them any longer. I am going to buy this CD myself, purely for the 9 Cliff / Shads tracks alone. As for Cliff, well - he performs quite a few of his late '60s / early '70s material (post Shadows) & some of it may not be to everyone's liking...that's just personal taste. "Throw Down A Line" with Hank will be worth hearing again though.

Right...there we are - just my 'two - penneth' - for what it's worth and my order is already in. Oh....the 'bottom' line, once again. Warner Music could have issued all of this material. The BBC could have already issued all of this material...but neither organisation could be bothered to do it. 'Nuff said!!!! :shock: :D
Arpeggio

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu May 27, 2021 5:28 pm

Arpeggio wrote:... there are still 4 from 1963, which are clearly deliberately omitted...

Which tracks are these and what would be the reason for omitting them, Rob?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Arpeggio » Fri May 28, 2021 3:17 pm

Well.... the compiler has opted for the period 1966 - 1970, which is obviously the reason for the omission. The only other Cliff / Shads tracks in the entire archive are actually very rare!!! From "Parade Of The Pops" (17 / 04 / 1963). It was a live broadcast too. I can only think (as no other master tapes pre - 1966 survive!!!!) that this particular tape accidentally avoided being thrown out / wiped etc. The 4 tracks are: "Bachelor Boy" / "Dancing Shoes" / "Lucky Lips" and "Summer Holiday". Cheers!!! Rob :)
Arpeggio

Postby UlrichS » Fri May 28, 2021 4:22 pm

Arpeggio wrote:Well.... the compiler has opted for the period 1966 - 1970, which is obviously the reason for the omission. The only other Cliff / Shads tracks in the entire archive are actually very rare!!! From "Parade Of The Pops" (17 / 04 / 1963). It was a live broadcast too. I can only think (as no other master tapes pre - 1966 survive!!!!) that this particular tape accidentally avoided being thrown out / wiped etc. The 4 tracks are: "Bachelor Boy" / "Dancing Shoes" / "Lucky Lips" and "Summer Holiday". Cheers!!! Rob :)

Dancing Shoes and Lucky Lips were used for the Star Show #14 (BBC Transcription Disc #111618) and Bachelor Boy and Summer Holiday for the Star Show #22 (BBC Transcription Dics #111618)
Both Transcrition Discs exist in top quality.

Ulrich
Last edited by UlrichS on Fri May 28, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Arpeggio » Fri May 28, 2021 4:33 pm

Thanks for the additional information (as ever - wonderful) Ulrich. :)
Arpeggio

Next

Return to The Shadows