Mr Welch is in tonight

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Mr Welch is in tonight

Postby Gatwick1946 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:21 am

Although I have seen Bruce Welch play live many times over the years, got his autograph, and thanked him for a show I saw at Croydon Fairfield Halls in 2001, I was never lucky enough to be present on a Shadows Club night when Mr Welch dropped in, so to speak. He has been known to have kindly agreed to join in with the other club members up on the stage.

I was wondering if some of the members of this forum could recall any personal anecdotes - such as what was it like to be lead, bass or on drums, and to look round and see, and hear, a real Shadow?

On my part, I imagine that I would have to pinch myself, just to believe it was not a dream! I cannot guess as to how I would be able to concentrate on playing my instrument - after all lightning does not often strike twice in the same place!

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Re: Mr Welch is in tonight

Postby RogerCook » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:11 pm

I saw Bruce play with the band at the Surrey club in Hersham about 6 years ago. I can't be sure who the band members were but my recollection is that they included Clem Cattini, Cliff Hall and Alan Jones with Barry Gibson on lead. I think there's a photo too and it would be great if someone could share that.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:19 pm

That sounds like the Local Heroes with Bruce in Ade’s place.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby RogerCook » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:56 pm

Certainly Local Heroes based
Last edited by RogerCook on Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerCook

Postby RogerCook » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:00 pm

I think Daniel Martin was on lead and BG on rhythm. They managed to find a right handed guitar for Bruce though!
RogerCook

Postby fzrsew49 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:36 pm

The poster advertising this previously mentioned show of 6 years ago at Hersham is located on this forum, go to Club Area - Surrey Shadows - 21/11/14. The actual photos are dated 1/12/14 and both are contained in the newsletters. Hope this helps. Regards, Stewart
fzrsew49

Full Real Name: stewart wood

Postby RayL » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:54 pm

I did the video recording of that Hersham show. Barry Gibson and Daniel Martin shared lead and rhythm duties. Cliff Hall was on K/B, Alan Jones on bass, Clem Cattini on drums, with guest appearances from Bruce (FBI) and Liquorice (harmonica and bass, too many tunes to list), As it was a Local Heroes gig organised by Barry Gibson the guitars and basses were white Burns throughout.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby barryg » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:52 pm

RayL wrote:I did the video recording of that Hersham show. Barry Gibson and Daniel Martin shared lead and rhythm duties. Cliff Hall was on K/B, Alan Jones on bass, Clem Cattini on drums, with guest appearances from Bruce (FBI) and Liquorice (harmonica and bass, too many tunes to list), As it was a Local Heroes gig organised by Barry Gibson the guitars and basses were white Burns throughout.

That's correct Ray, It was a packed house that night and I took a lot of photos some of which were used by yourself to go into the video you produced. There are 25 photos on my Facebook page of the evening in the album "Surrey Shadows Club 7th anniversary night" if anyone wants to take a look.

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby martcaster » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:46 pm

This was just about the most magical quarter of an hour of our lives. It was a Charity night at Scarborough's Spa Grand Hall. Also featuring 'Lic' Locking, Alan Jones and Ian McCutcheon (as well as an Elvis impersonator singing Cliff.......don't ask!)

What a night!
martcaster

Full Real Name: Martin Verrill

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:48 am

What a blistering bass solo Chris managed in Zambesi - and in front of the man!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Next

Return to The Shadows