The Drifters - in colour

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Drifters - in colour

Postby Teflon » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:57 pm

Actually, I think the first photo would be after the name change, but anyway - at a bit of a loose end this afternoon what with being in Tier 4 etc, so decided to have a play around with the "neural filters" that are included in the latest version of Photoshop. The result were these "colourised" versions of black & white photos of the band.

Just a bit of fun, and I've no idea how accurate the colours are (and being colour blind really doesn't help!), but it does seem to bring another dimension to old, grey photos.

I'd love to know the song they're rehearsing in the last 2 photos. I believe the location is the flat they shared in London in the early days. Could be wrong though. Oh, and I like the bust of Elvis you can see on display just by Hanks right elbow :P .

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Re: The Drifters - in colour

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:34 pm

Teflon wrote:I'd love to know the song they're rehearsing in the last 2 photos. I believe the location is the flat they shared in London in the early days. Could be wrong though. Oh, and I like the bust of Elvis you can see on display just by Hanks right elbow :P .Cliff

Yes, 100 Marylebone High Street, early 1959, but no sign of Jet on the day. Nice colouring, Cliff.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Teflon » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:41 pm

GoldenStreet wrote:
Teflon wrote:........ Nice colouring, Cliff.

Bill

Thanks :) . Most of the credit is due to Photoshop though, with just a few bits of touching up required after it worked its magic.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:01 am

Those pics look really good. Colour does make a difference, I think.

Bruce has been photographed with a wider range of guitar types than Hank, over the past 60 odd years or so. If they were as strapped for cash as recalled by Bruce in his memoirs, then I would venture that a lot of the guitars were borrowed, just for the photo shoot.

I have an Antoria/Guyatone LG60 guitar, very like Hank's - I have had it since approx 1960. If you look at my post dated Wed 1st February 2012 on the GEAR board of this Forum, I have posted some colour pics of it. A good match, I believe, to what you have achieved with Photoshop. I salute your efforts.

Kindest regards and a safe New Year,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Teflon » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:35 pm

That's a very nice looking guitar, and yes, it's very much like Hanks. Very rare now I should think - did you get it refurbished in the end?

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Gatwick1946 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:43 pm

Dear Cliff,

Typical me, it is still in it's case, unrestored but nice to look at . The main fault is the lack of a neck truss rod, which makes it very difficult to keep in tune.
It will be in tune at the headstock head and well out, up the bridge end - just as Hank describes in his memories of his Antoria!!!

Guitars have much improved since the 1950's, in my opinion, so unless an old guitar can be made to work ok, it is probably best to keep it as a souvenir, unless one is a collector and/or has deep pockets and spare cash? I have spent my money on a Mexican Strat and a 2000 Burns Marvin and a Guild Jumbo acoustic.

Kindest regards, & Keep Safe,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Return to The Shadows