Together 1984

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Together 1984

Postby MikeAB » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:06 pm

Just noticed YouTube are advertising a premiere of this excellent concert on the 14th - the still from it looks of super quality and of course it's never been on DVD.

Too much to hope the full Shads set will be popped in the middle but anyway it could maybe be a precursor to a DVD release.

Anyone know anything about it?

Mike
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Re: Together 1984

Postby iefje » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:53 am

The Shadows' complete set has appeared on DVD for the first time back in about October, 2000, under the title "The Shadows Live". It was of course first released altogether in May, 1986 on the VHS and Betamax formats under the same title. I agree that "Together 1984" would be a great DVD release. However, if it is decided to release it on DVD, I expect it to be a straight reissue of the VHS and Betamax edits of the show.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby scouserjoe2 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:43 pm

Wasn't all or part of this also released in 2005 by EMI in a CD and DVD compilation entitled 'The Shadows' Platinum Collection'? Or is that something different? According to the sleeve notes the recording was live at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham but it doesn't quote a date. The tracks are Shadoogie, Time is Tight, Cavatina, Equinox, Wonderful Land, Apache and FBI. Elements from this are available on YouTube, just enter 'Shadows, Birmingham 1984' and a list comes up. I quite like this video, the recording and video quality is good and the lads are quite 'lively'.

Cheers, Ian
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

Postby iefje » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:03 pm

scouserjoe2 wrote:Wasn't all or part of this also released in 2005 by EMI in a CD and DVD compilation entitled 'The Shadows' Platinum Collection'? Or is that something different? According to the sleeve notes the recording was live at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham but it doesn't quote a date. The tracks are Shadoogie, Time is Tight, Cavatina, Equinox, Wonderful Land, Apache and FBI. Elements from this are available on YouTube, just enter 'Shadows, Birmingham 1984' and a list comes up. I quite like this video, the recording and video quality is good and the lads are quite 'lively'.

Cheers, Ian

That's right Ian, all seven tracks from "The Shadows Live" were included on a bonus DVD on the 2005 compilation you mention.
iefje

Postby MikeAB » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:35 pm

So how come Hank's solos on the encore were different to the transmitted version that I have. A shame as the last solo on my version was really great - bit disappointed by that really - but a great concert.

He lost his sound completely in the first version of We Don't Talk so was a bit of later overdubbing going on?!

Mike
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby iefje » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:14 am

MikeAB wrote:So how come Hank's solos on the encore were different to the transmitted version that I have. A shame as the last solo on my version was really great - bit disappointed by that really - but a great concert.

He lost his sound completely in the first version of We Don't Talk so was a bit of later overdubbing going on?!

Mike

You've got a point there! I watched Hank's solo passages during "We Don't Talk Anymore" and "We Don't Talk Anymore (Reprise)" and on the presentation on YouTube you actually hear what you see Hank playing on his guitar. The same passages on the original 1984 VHS release sound stronger and much more 'rehearsed' and are not in sync with what you see Hank playing, so yes, for the VHS release, Hank must have overdubbed some solo's later on, or they have been taken from one of the other filmed shows. There must have been multiple shows filmed, because if you watch very closely, there are some shots where Alan Jones wears a white suit during the second half, instead of the red one you see almost throughout the whole second half.
iefje

Postby bob t » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:07 am

This was recorded over 4 nights at the N.E.C. Birmingham on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th of July 1984 so they must have mixed parts from different shows
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby iefje » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:15 am

bob t wrote:This was recorded over 4 nights at the N.E.C. Birmingham on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th of July 1984 so they must have mixed parts from different shows

Well, actually the shows on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th of July 1984 were at the Wembley Arena in London, while the shows on the 7th, 9th, 10th and 11th were at the N.E.C. in Birmingham.
iefje

Postby bob t » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 pm

iefje wrote:
bob t wrote:This was recorded over 4 nights at the N.E.C. Birmingham on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th of July 1984 so they must have mixed parts from different shows

Well, actually the shows on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th of July 1984 were at the Wembley Arena in London, while the shows on the 7th, 9th, 10th and 11th were at the N.E.C. in Birmingham.

Yes you are right, took my information of a VHS cover on the Internet but have now checked my old tickets from the show
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby iefje » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:59 pm

The YouTube presentation also omits "Lucky Lips", so we still have to rely on our VHS videos and/or LaserDiscs to see and hear all tracks! Also, I've seen very tiny and subtle edits compared to the VHS version. It sounds as though this is a more rough mix. The VHS version includes some overdubs during the intermission section and also added applause in between the songs.
iefje

Next

Return to The Shadows