Postby kipper » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:55 pm

ecca wrote:
al2.jpg

now thats the alan we all know and love :lol: :lol: :lol: peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Re: Food For Thought

Postby alanbakewell » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:15 pm

"i`d sue him alan: probaly janet joan and jill him as well peter".

No problems with that Peter. As long as long as there's no "Roger" in the equasion. :o :o :o
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby Risky » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:38 pm

ecca wrote:I can drink 5 pints of Grolsch, eat 2 cheese and onion cobs a bag of scratchings
and a pork pie and then not play Apache very well on Tuesdays.

He's lying... He only ever plays FBI, The Savage and Peace Pipe - all with aggression :lol:
(ex-guitar player) - now a ukulele and ukulele bass player!
Update: After 10 years absence, now a born-again Hankie
Risky

Full Real Name: Phil Wolstenholme

Postby ecca » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:04 pm

I don't play em with bleedin aggression !
ecca

Postby John Boulden » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:48 am

You're right Derek,

Some people do have an inflated opinion of their talent but twas ever thus.

Just enjoy playing and don't worry about other people. The Shads canon is packed with wonderful music and for those in our 60s provides a marvellous, rich and rewarding pastime - whatever standard you deem yourself to be.

Like others on this thread, I was semi-pro for many years and never worried about how good or bad I was - we just played our best and practiced an awful lot. Learning the Shads stuff all over again during the past ten years has been a wonderful journey and the Shads Club phenomenon has been brilliant as a catalyst and meeting place.

I have made many friends via the Shads clubs. Derek is one of them and he is over-modest about his own abilities. He lights the place up with his good humour and the non-Shads tunes he digs out and performs al a HBM are always a revelation. He's always good fun. I'm glad I know him.
And that's the point. Do you have fun when you play? Course you do. Making music is good for the soul. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are. If you get a kick out of it - that's all that matters - and if you meet like-minded people at Shads clubs, the enjoyment is multiplied many times.

Unfortunately, I am a complete HBM nurd - an absolute purist too. I'm one of those blokes who has to try and get the exact sound, the exact notes and play exactly like the great man. Consequently, I only have to make the slightest mistake at a club meeting and I am inconsolable for days, often contemplating setting fire to my stuff. Frustrating? Sure, but I love it really...

As a purist, I simply cannot visit the sound file section any more - because, apart from a few notable exceptions (Gege, The Oz TVS boys and one or two others) most of the sound files are, as Derek pointed out, awful. Sorry, but there it is. It comes from being a purist. Can't help it. Hope no-one takes offence.

There will always be arrogant players, singers, drummers etc. Just let them get on with it and concentrate on your own efforts. If you can learn from others, so much the better and the friendships you make via the clubs will be much more rewarding as a result.

John Boulden

≈
John Boulden

Postby kipper » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:08 pm

John Boulden wrote:You're right Derek,

Some people do have an inflated opinion of their talent but twas ever thus.

Just enjoy playing and don't worry about other people. The Shads canon is packed with wonderful music and for those in our 60s provides a marvellous, rich and rewarding pastime - whatever standard you deem yourself to be.

Like others on this thread, I was semi-pro for many years and never worried about how good or bad I was - we just played our best and practiced an awful lot. Learning the Shads stuff all over again during the past ten years has been a wonderful journey and the Shads Club phenomenon has been brilliant as a catalyst and meeting place.

I have made many friends via the Shads clubs. Derek is one of them and he is over-modest about his own abilities. He lights the place up with his good humour and the non-Shads tunes he digs out and performs al a HBM are always a revelation. He's always good fun. I'm glad I know him.
And that's the point. Do you have fun when you play? Course you do. Making music is good for the soul. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are. If you get a kick out of it - that's all that matters - and if you meet like-minded people at Shads clubs, the enjoyment is multiplied many times.

Unfortunately, I am a complete HBM nurd - an absolute purist too. I'm one of those blokes who has to try and get the exact sound, the exact notes and play exactly like the great man. Consequently, I only have to make the slightest mistake at a club meeting and I am inconsolable for days, often contemplating setting fire to my stuff. Frustrating? Sure, but I love it really...

As a purist, I simply cannot visit the sound file section any more - because, apart from a few notable exceptions (Gege, The Oz TVS boys and one or two others) most of the sound files are, as Derek pointed out, awful. Sorry, but there it is. It comes from being a purist. Can't help it. Hope no-one takes offence.

There will always be arrogant players, singers, drummers etc. Just let them get on with it and concentrate on your own efforts. If you can learn from others, so much the better and the friendships you make via the clubs will be much more rewarding as a result.

John Boulden

i never thought i would read someone on this site saying the standard of playing or soundfiles are awful. i dont put up sound files myself, i know i`m not good enogh to do that. but i do take offence from this remark. its your opion and thats up to you but i do take offence and it also sounds arrogant. trying not to be rude hear but this i think is well out of order. peter

≈
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby ecca » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:28 pm

To quote kipper;
"i never thought i would read someone on this site saying the standard of playing or soundfiles are awful. i dont put up sound files myself, i know i`m not good enogh to do that. but i do take offence from this remark. its your opion and thats up to you but i do take offence and it also sounds arrogant. trying not to be rude hear but this i think is well out of order. peter"

Hear hear.
Last edited by ecca on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ecca

Postby Gary Allen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:06 pm

:silent: :silent: :silent: :silent:
Last edited by Gary Allen on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby asimmd » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Well Mr Boulden,you will never know if the sound file I have just posted is Crap or not if you are not
prepared to listen to it.

It would seem that you are one of the more arrogant members who has a rather high opinion of
himself,and as has been stated,if you want perfection,put a cd on.

How lonely a life you must lead,only wanting perfection.

I hope you find it but,I think you may spend a long time looking for something that ,in this world
does not exist,even Hank makes mistakes.

Have a nice day.

Alan
asimmd

Full Real Name: Alan Sim

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows