CLIFF AT THE BBC

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: CLIFF AT THE BBC

Postby petercreasey » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:49 pm

If the feeling is so strong against the BBC can I ask why folks with such strong feelings watch the BBC at all?
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby drakula63 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:24 pm

petercreasey wrote:If the feeling is so strong against the BBC can I ask why folks with such strong feelings watch the BBC at all?

Personally, I try not to! Stopped watching Doctor Who years ago and only occasionally tune in to BBC FOUR if there is a good doco on. Never watch soaps, or drama or sport or comedy or the news or anything on the BBC. After having been waiting for one for more years than I can remember, I'd have watched the Shadows documentary no matter which channel it was on! I'll watch Cliff at the BBC for much the same reasons. I honestly don't think I have watched anything on the BBC since the Shadows doco back in May... unless it was by accident. Sorry, but the BBC is dead to me and I cannot see anything changing that. But I could be wrong.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:58 pm

At least the BBC chose not to appeal against the Cliff Richard judgment, probably through pragmatism as much as anything, admittedly, but there is always BBC Radio for those who chose not to watch television or online visual content!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby StanfordTuck » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:34 pm

A simple queston, which BBC channel?

Cees
StanfordTuck

Full Real Name: Cees van Gent

Postby drakula63 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:01 pm

StanfordTuck wrote:A simple queston, which BBC channel?

Cees

It's either gonna be BBC2 or BBC FOUR. I would guess BBC FOUR. In fact, I'm 100% certain it's FOUR. I think the new Radio Times has been out for a couple of days, so easy to find out.
drakula63

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:56 pm

Friday 16th October at 21.50, BBC FOUR. Preceded at 8pm by Summer Holiday. Checked the Radio Times this morning.
drakula63

Postby iefje » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:28 pm

drakula63 wrote:Friday 16th October at 21.50, BBC FOUR. Preceded at 8pm by Summer Holiday. Checked the Radio Times this morning.

I hope it will appear on YouTube, as I cannot receive BBC Four.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Here's the Radio Times listing. The Shadows are not mentioned in it.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/mq78sw/sir-cliff-richard-at-the-bbc/
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:59 pm

All I watch on the Beeb these days is documentaries and films.

When I go into Categories on iPlayer and click on 'Comedy,' I skim through the list, realise there's actually precious little comedy there, and don't bother to watch any of it.

Usually the same thing happens when I click on 'Music.'

I'll probably watch the Cliff doco though, particularly as I get to see Summer Holiday first. I do have it on DVD but the person I lent it to hasn't returned it yet.

You know who you are.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:11 pm

Having worked with pride for the BBC for 43 years in total, I find all this BBC-bashing a bit wearing. But I can't do much about it.

I would only say that the term "watch the BBC" suggests a TV channel and nothing much else. It is actually a world-wide newsgathering operation feeding outlets on TV, radio and online. As well as 4 national TV services, it has a regional service for each substantial area of the UK and an international TV service across the world. This provision is duplicated in radio with BBC World Service radio broadcasting internationally, with local variations in 39 different languages as well as English. There are 5 UK radio networks, national radio services to Scotland, Wales and NI, plus local radio stations the length and breadth of England. Through podcasts and the iPlayer it also provides copious opportunities to consume programmes outside their transmission hours. There is a multipage website covering a wealth of different interest areas.

Its mission is to inform, educate and entertain. Its editorial guidelines require fairness, accuracy and impartiality. It is independent of Government and operates by Royal Charter of HM The Queen.

It is a huge organisation using a large number of human beings and, with the best will in the world, humans are fallible. So you will often be able to find an example of something you think it got wrong. I can tell you – because I know - it spends an inordinate amount of effort trying to get things right.

If I hadn't been convinced of this ethos and of the ability of my employer to strive for the best at all times, I would not have devoted my working life to it.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows