CLIFF AT THE BBC

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

CLIFF AT THE BBC

Postby drakula63 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:17 pm

Cliff gets his own retrospective with Sir Cliff Richard At The BBC on Friday 16th October at 9:50pm:

As the Peter Pan of Pop reaches the milestone of his 80th birthday, the BBC celebrates with a look back through its archives at some of his most memorable performances and biggest hits.

Starting with the release of Sir Cliff’s first single Move It in 1958, we follow his incredible career through his appearances on a variety of BBC music programmes and television specials. The programme takes in his early, much-loved songs of the 1960s, the comeback and credibility of his work in the 1970s, the successes he enjoyed throughout the 80s and 90s, as he consolidated his reputation as a pop superstar, right up until the controversy and vindication that came with his Millennium Prayer.

Amongst the classic songs featured are The Young Ones, Living Doll, Bachelor Boy, the Eurovision Song Contest contenders Congratulations and Power To All Our Friends, Devil Woman, Miss You Nights, Wired for Sound and Cliff’s much-praised 80s duet with Van Morrison, Wherever God Shines His Light.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: CLIFF AT THE BBC

Postby StuartD » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi

I won't be watching. A corrupt, morally bankrupt, politically motivated organisation trying to cash in the success of someone who's life they tried to destroy.

The stench is appalling

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby drakula63 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:52 pm

StuartD wrote:Hi

I won't be watching. A corrupt, morally bankrupt, politically motivated organisation trying to cash in the success of someone who's life they tried to destroy.

The stench is appalling

Regards

Stuart

The impression I get is that they are trying to crawl around him and make amends for what they did. Hopefully the BBC will spend the rest of its (short) life apologizing to Cliff. I agree about the BBC, they are reprehensible, but this could be a good programme - with a fair bit of Shads included - and worth a watch.
drakula63

Postby Fenderman » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:33 pm

He looks great for his age, i might watch it for the Shads stuff, might be some new interviews.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby MartcasterJunior » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:53 pm

I'm pretty sure Cliff has voluntarily appeared on the BBC since that incident. There is quite a separation between the News part of the organisation and the entertainment part.

I presume the people with the strong anti-BBC stance didn't watch The Shadows At Sixty earlier this year, just to maintain a strong moral position?
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Matthew Verrill

Postby StuartD » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:15 pm

MartcasterJunior wrote:I'm pretty sure Cliff has voluntarily appeared on the BBC since that incident. There is quite a separation between the News part of the organisation and the entertainment part.

I presume the people with the strong anti-BBC stance didn't watch The Shadows At Sixty earlier this year, just to maintain a strong moral position?

I did watch it Martin. But they didn't try to ruin their lives.

Regards

Stu
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby Moderne » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:22 pm

StuartD wrote:Hi

The stench is appalling

Regards

Stuart

I have to say I agree, Stuart.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Moderne » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:34 pm

...and there he is, every time I turn on the BBC news: BBC reporter Dan Johnson; the man who referred to Cliff in an email as "a celebrity paedo"!

Fifty years ago, when I was a little boy Cliff had his own BBC TV show with Hank Marvin and Una Stubbs. Aretha Franklin was a guest in the 1970 August Bank Holiday special - singing I Say A Little Prayer and Don't Play That Song which have rightly been featured extensively in Aretha tribute programmes. Wonder if they'll include the superb Spanish Harlem - Bird Dog - Proud Mary Cliff/Hank duet...
Last edited by Moderne on Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby drakula63 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:35 pm

MartcasterJunior wrote:I'm pretty sure Cliff has voluntarily appeared on the BBC since that incident. There is quite a separation between the News part of the organisation and the entertainment part.

I watched it and thought it was very good. Mind you, it wasn't actually MADE by the BBC themselves so I didn't worry too much about my conscience pricking me! Some of the content that the BBC broadcasts is great - when they're not preaching - it's just the organisation as a whole that has lost its way. Maybe now they've got a new DG things will change. However, once the licence is made voluntary or scrapped, then that's probably the end of the Beeb. Showing this Cliff compilation should be seen as a move in the right direction. It will probably be only the second thing that I watch on the BBC this year!
:D
drakula63

Postby shadowriter » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:37 am

agree totally with the anti BBC remarks. However
'Cutting your nose off to spite your face' comes to mind and
I shall be watching it for the shads bits.

Norman
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Next

Return to The Shadows