Peter Vince

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Peter Vince

Postby George Geddes » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:34 pm

Sad to report that Peter Vince, engineer and producer at EMI’s Abbey Road Studios for 35 years, and as such a key figure in the recording career of the Shadows for many years, has passed away. Born in Fulham in 1942, he joined the Abbey Road staff in 1962. Over the next thirty plus years, he worked with a wide range of artists, from Cliff and the Shadows, Marvin Welch and Farrar, the Hollies, the Beatles and the Seekers to Joe Loss and Benny Hill to Maria Callas. He also worked on many London cast recordings of West End shows. After leaving EMI in 1997, Peter worked as a freelance sound engineer.

With colleagues Brian Southall and Allan Rouse, he wrote a history of Abbey Road Studios. He had composing credits on Shadows tracks ‘Chelsea Boot’ (on Jigsaw) and ‘Alentejo’ (on From Hank Bruce Brian and John) and later contributed tracks to Carlin Music Library albums.

Peter passed away some weeks ago after a period of illness but we only had confirmation earlier today. Our condolences are extended to his widow Wendy, his family and friends.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Re: Peter Vince

Postby iefje » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:18 pm

That's very sad news indeed. Just by coincidence, very recently I was reading an article about Peter in one of Tony Hoffman's issues of Shadsfax. Rest in peace Peter...
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:25 pm

Sad news, i think i saw this on Facebook a few days ago.
Alentejo remains one of my favourites tracks to this day.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:59 pm

Fenderman wrote:Sad news, i think i saw this on Facebook a few days ago.

Yes there were rumours on Facebook but George secured confirmation today. That is why we held off publication until we knew for sure.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:23 pm

RIP Peter Vince.

In 1968, the year of the Shads initial disbandment, Peter co-engineered, with Peter Mew, the album, Deena Webster Is Tuesday's Child (now being re-discovered, by all accounts.)

https://www.discogs.com/Deena-Webster-D ... se/3394433

Interestingly, in addition to engineering, he also acted as arranger of the accompaniments to six of the tracks.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby dave robinson » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:52 am

Brian Bennett mentioned this on his Facebook page over a week ago on July 27th, I thought it was common knowledge.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby DustyShoes » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 am

It looks like not so much, Dave.
I dont have FB, and like lots of other people I have to wait for news on TV and newspaper.

Seeya
Simon
DustyShoes

Full Real Name: Simon Disawari

Return to The Shadows