Wonderful Land glitch - and others

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Wonderful Land glitch

Postby Gary Allen » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:41 pm

Regarding takes on Gonzales,I posted 4 different takes about 10 yrs ago which I no longer seem to have,they were very different from the final take and there was no reverb on Hanks guitar, Anyone out there still got them ?
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:18 am

Not posted on this site, Gary. If you do an Advanced Search for +Gonzales posted by Gary Allen only 3 posts come up and none is what you’re looking for I’m afraid.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Graham C. Marshall » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:45 pm

Whilst we're on the subject of glitches has anyone noticed the one in The Boys? For years I listened to this great number and noticed nothing; it wasn't until I listened to it through headphones that I became aware of it. Not being a musician by any stretch of imagination, the finer technical detail of playing is lost on me. Listen to The Boys and at approximately 1.40 into the piece you will find it, unless you're worse than I am. It comes shortly before Brian's beating of the floor tom. It sounds a little like Hank coming in too early(?).

Back to Wonderful Land . . . . .
Graham C. Marshall

Full Real Name: Graham C. Marshall

Postby Tone » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:01 pm

HI Graham

Yes, you're quite right. It sounds like Hank very, very briefly started to play the wrong note and then quickly corrected himself.

This was the first time I've listened to this track via headphones and I also noticed some slight distortion in Hank's sound, particularly in the first verse. Finally, in the YouTube version I listened to, Hank is very much on the left of the stereo image which is something else I hadn't noticed. Of course, this particular version could be a remix/remaster. Was the track originally recorded in mono?

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby iefje » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:10 pm

Tone wrote:HI Graham

Yes, you're quite right. It sounds like Hank very, very briefly started to play the wrong note and then quickly corrected himself.

This was the first time I've listened to this track via headphones and I also noticed some slight distortion in Hank's sound, particularly in the first verse. Finally, in the YouTube version I listened to, Hank is very much on the left of the stereo image which is something else I hadn't noticed. Of course, this particular version could be a remix/remaster. Was the track originally recorded in mono?

Cheers.

Tony

"The Boys" was recorded in both mono and stereo and issued on mono and stereo issues of the EP "Theme Music From 'The Boys'", in October 1962.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:20 pm

For some reason i always preferred the 'mock stereo' of The Boys on the original Greatest Hits. the chorus sounded punchier (even though i detest mock stereo). Didn't sound the same on the CD remaster i bought.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Re: Wonderful Land glitch - and others

Postby Medium B » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:09 am

I take it you mean the note that is not damped? I had never noticed it before. I kind of like the odd misstep on tracks. There are one or two where Jet Harris comes in early. Just adds to the charm, having the occasional oops.
Medium B

Full Real Name: robert lavery

Postby JimN » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:13 pm

iefje wrote:
Tone wrote:HI Graham

Cheers.

Tony

"The Boys" was recorded in both mono and stereo and issued on mono and stereo issues of the EP "Theme Music From 'The Boys'", in October 1962.

In terms of a normal analogue remix for stereo tracks recorded direct to stereo before the coming of 4-track at Abbey Road, all that can be done in to re-balance the stereo image (slightly), but most stereo amplifiers allow you to do that anyway. There is, though, the possibility of image-editing in the digital domain.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Wonderful Land glitch - and others

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:26 pm

Being the anorak I am, I tried to edit the stereo file to remove the stray note. It worked!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Previous

Return to The Shadows