Dance On!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Dance On!

Postby GoldenStreet » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:47 pm

Not quite sure about this, but some interesting variations on a familiar sound, particularly rhythm guitar...

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Re: Dance On!

Postby Twilight Ranger » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:44 am

I can't hear anything unusual.
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Postby iefje » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:37 am

This is The Shadows' re-recording from their 1989 album "At Their Very Best".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby bor64 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:02 am

It's just the re-recording for the At Their Very Best album.
All parts are nicely mixed, it's debatable if it's done to nicely in compare the old way...
It's done the modern way, every parts is recorded separately.... no one take with all peeps in one place.
It's well known that in the 80's Alan Jones and Cliff Hall (incl drum-machine)laid down the BT's, before Brian,Bruce,Hank recorded their part also separately and not necessary in that order.

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:18 am

Thanks all... clearly, the time is well overdue for me to again look out At Their Very Best and fully re-acquaint myself with its delights!!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby nivramarvin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:22 pm

In the original, the lead guitar comes from the right, the reverb from the left. Nobody records like that anymore. Still, I like the old version better, maybe because I've got used to the old-fashioned sound.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:05 pm

nivramarvin wrote:In the original, the lead guitar comes from the right, the reverb from the left. Nobody records like that anymore. Still, I like the old version better, maybe because I've got used to the old-fashioned sound.

I agree, all the original recordings had a youthful energy which they couldn't recreate when they were more than 25 years older.

bor64 wrote:It's just the re-recording for the At Their Very Best album.
All parts are nicely mixed, it's debatable if it's done to nicely in compare the old way...
It's done the modern way, every parts is recorded separately.... no one take with all peeps in one place.
It's well known that in the 80's Alan Jones and Cliff Hall (incl drum-machine)laid down the BT's, before Brian,Bruce,Hank recorded their part also separately and not necessary in that order.
Cheers Rob

Yes, this version of Dance On is more polished, and one of the better ones on the album. But polish isn't everything!

The 1980s Polydor tracks were indeed initially laid down by Alan and Cliff but also with Brian. I believe it was only Bruce and Hank who added their bits afterwards.

For At Their Very Best, Mark Griffiths plays bass, perfectly well but not always reproducing the original bass lines which contributed to the "feel" of the number. Also, the recording technique used means that the apparent "hall acoustics" are the same on every track, another reason these re-recordings don't recapture the originals very well, except in maybe a couple of cases.

Just my thoughts! Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Twilight Ranger » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:28 pm

I think both the originals and the re-recordings on "At Their Very Best are excellent. I usually listen to the re-recordings, though, which I consider better because of the overall sound and the better recording rechnique and equipment. I don't remember Brice Welch's exact words in an interview, but if I understood him correctly, he doesn't think the re-recordings are worse than the originals, either.

Just my thoughts!
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:42 pm

Twilight Ranger wrote: I don't remember Brice Welch's exact words in an interview, but if I understood him correctly, he doesn't think the re-recordings are worse than the originals, either.

I certainly would not describe the re-recordings as worse than the originals, just for the most part, different. As Iain has pointed out, it is the atmosphere, dynamic and energy between much younger players in another time and place that can never be truly recaptured. Personally, I shall always prefer Bruce's early acoustic sound, in particular, to much of what came later.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby MikeAB » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:05 pm

This thread has made me revisit the re-recordings which have been parked well away for some years - apart from The Stranger with its great ending.

I enjoyed them more than I remembered - except Apache, which I just can't 'take', and Foot Tapper (which badly needed Brian's more exciting 'live' drumming in the middle!!)

Mike
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Next

Return to The Shadows