Paris Olympia 1975

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Paris Olympia 1975

Postby SATjemsland » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:36 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows if there are some pictures or motion pictures available from the Shadows 1975 concert (the one recorded for the live album).
Would love to see the guitar setup and also what bass was used.
SATjemsland

Full Real Name: Svein Arild Tjemsland

Re: Paris Olympia 1975

Postby iefje » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:47 am

Hello Svein, welcome to this great forum! Aren't you a member of the group The Reflections?
About your question, there are some pictures of the concerts at the Paris Olympia in 1975 inside the trays of the 2002 French double CD "Live At The Paris Olympia". I know that Bruce used the original Stratocaster which he sprayed white and which was used by Hank from 1959 till about 1961, John Farrar used a yellow Telecaster with a palmbender and Hank used his black 1970's Stratocaster, fitted with two humbuckers. I think Alan Tarney used a Fender Precision Bass.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby bor64 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:01 am

Bruce used the "borrowed" original '59 strat which was re-prayed not by Bruce, but by the same firm who re-rayed the rosewood fiesta red strats and bass in white at the same time.
Because the 59 was damaged by use and Cliff liked to run in line with the shads with the colour of HIS guitar.
Hank borrowed this guitar before Bruce during the Cliff goes east tour and re kind him with the strat again, so he asked a roadie to buy at Barrett's of Manchester a strat, which became re-sprayed black.
Bruce brought the 59 guitar first half of the 80's to Chandler to get it (the wrong)red again.
The tele of John wasn't yellow it was reflecting in yellow because of the lighting, the guitar was in kinda see-true milky off white like the Mary Kay strats when it was new.
It got darker by age and use to almost a butter-scot colour(also bought at Barrett's...there's a picture of Barrett's shop window with Hank and Johns guitars)
Hank used his 1970 strat bought in 1971/2 also off white see trough original and re-sprayed later in black and two humbuckers added a Fender and a Gibson.

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby SATjemsland » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:29 am

iefje wrote:Hello Svein, welcome to this great forum! Aren't you a member of the group The Reflections?

Hi and thanks a lot for that, it looks like a great forum! I was a member here years ago, but I forgot username and password and stuff. And yes, I am a member of The Reflections. We had some very fun years playing around at festivals etc.
SATjemsland

Full Real Name: Svein Arild Tjemsland

Postby drakula63 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:47 am

There is some (poor quality) black and white footage from one of the nights. I have it here on video and tried to copy some of it to DVD. There's only ten minutes at the most and since it is an nth generation copy, it looks and sounds rough. However... this makes me believe that there MUST be more out there! A few years ago I posted some pics (screen grabs) somewhere on this forum.

When I get my time machine built (OK, I have to invent it first!), I'm going back to June 1975, to the Paris Olympia, with an HD video camera. Just don't hold ya breath...

Until then...
Attachments
IMG_9269_opt (1).jpg
IMG_9269_opt (1).jpg (54.96 KiB) Viewed 9621 times
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby George Geddes » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:42 am

Just watch out for the Blinovitch Limitation Effect, Chris. And don't reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby drakula63 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:13 pm

George Geddes wrote:Just watch out for the Blinovitch Limitation Effect, Chris. And don't reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.

George

Don't worry, those are top of my list to avoid... plus the dreaded 'Critical Timing Malfunction', whatever that is. As long as the Lateral Balance Cones are, er, balanced properly I think I should be OK. I'll be taking a short test flight first, just forward a few days to get the winning lottery numbers for the following week, before going back to '75 to buy those front row tickets!
:D
drakula63

Postby drakula63 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:18 pm

I listened to the CD on the night of the 14th... 45 years to the day!

Personally, I would be just as interested, maybe even MORE so, in pics or a recording of the dates they did just prior to the Eurovision with John Fiddy on keyboards. I'll assume that the set list was more or less the same?

As this is most definitely about The Shadows, shouldn't this thread really be in the Shadows area rather than here...?
drakula63

Postby bosunbob » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:04 am

Hi Folks.
Mentioned here was a CD recording of the Paris Olympia show.
My trusty old vinyl disc, bought brand spanking in '76 was played right down to the turntable,
that's how much I enjoyed the performance. Besides I dont have a record deck any longer.
Soooooo, is the French CD readily available to buy?

Silly boy, I've just searched and found the CD tucked away in my collection?

Many thanks.
Bruce
Last edited by bosunbob on Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bosunbob

Postby iefje » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:48 am

bosunbob wrote:Hi Folks.
Mentioned here was a CD recording of the Paris Olympia show.
My trusty old vinyl disc, bought brand spanking in '76 was played right down to the turntable,
that's how much I enjoyed the performance. Besides I dont have a record deck any longer.
Soooooo, is the French CD readily available to buy?
Many thanks.
Bruce

Hello Bruce,

There have been two CD releases. The first was in February 1992, when the original 14-track album was expanded to a 25-track CD, released by EMI Records in the UK. Some of the dialogue that had featured on the LP has been edited out on the CD, because of the maximum music running time. Also, "The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt" is slightly different on this CD issue, because it omits Hank's down-slide flourish at the end of the song.
The second CD release was in July or August 2002, by Magic Records in France and was a double CD. It includes the 25 tracks from the 1992 UK CD, as well as the dialogue which was on the original LP and additional dialogue, taken from an audience source. It turned out, that two extra tracks were on the setlist: "Black Eyes" and "Silvery Rain". Both have been included here, but not the live versions from 1975 as the sources proved unsatisfactory. Instead, the original studio versions by Marvin, Welch & Farrar have been worked in. The version of "The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt" is the original LP version, with Hank's down-slide flourish. The second disc of this CD issue also includes the Japanese live album "'Live' In Japan" from 1969.
Unfortunately, both CD issues have been deleted long ago, but they do sometimes turn up on eBay or webshops.

All the best,
Ivo.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Next

Return to The Shadows