Ebay...Not Worth The Bother....Scammed?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Ebay...Not Worth The Bother....Scammed?

Postby OLDEREK » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:03 pm

I think the main thing with Ebay is to read peoples feedback, if it's low stear clear, if they have high one then why should they not sale or buy in the proper manner, maybe I'm lucky but I have bought and sold loads and loads of items without any problems...........It's the same old story if it seems cheap then theres a catch............ :D
OLDEREK

Postby noelford » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:31 pm

As Derek says, always check the feedback. Looking at the sort of items sellers have previously sold can sometimes be enlightening, too. I've had a pretty good experience with eBay, and have bought and sold some high price items along the way, without any trouble, apart from the time I had a problem with the purchase of an electric toothbrush. I received a PayPal refund very quickly on that occasion.
noelford

Postby sausage fingers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:39 am

Gee....i thought i'd keep you posted.
Well Mr X wants it all ways, he wants the item(which he claims he never received) he wants me to back him up in a most likely fraudulent claim with DHL, saying he will then drop the claim with myself if it is successful, a most likely story as he escalated the claim status with myself to a full refund last night. No doubt my 933 100%positive transactions will also have a nice negative plonked on it :roll:
Might be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, spoke with Paypal in Dublin last night and they told me if i can supply them with a proof of receipt from DHL this should all work out in my favour, but i need to have a 7 day grace period to give me and mr x a chance to talk and come to a mutual conclusion on our own :|
I'll believe it all when i see it......
So now i'm just taking a look on ebay thinking of buying a Kodak KI8 camcorder thingy, oh and a Gibson L5 :sick: :crazy: :mrgreen:
Rob :)
sausage fingers

Full Real Name: rob kay

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:41 am

Not Ebay but just another good reason not to sell on the internet.
A few years ago I put my seven string up for sale on a guitar site on the net that advertised any instruments that you wanted selling.
A few days went by and nothing, then this guy contacted me from somewhere in Africa.
He sent me a message in top rate pidgin English saying he just happened to have one of his drivers passing my house up here in Lanarkshire(yeah did you see that pig fly by just there?), and that if I packaged my guitar and case up for pick-up he would have the guy drop by with a bankers draft for £650.00. I had already read the warnings from the site and immediately got on to them complaining about this guy getting under their radar. They said it was a scam of course. They gave me another couple of months free advertising and said they would only have any future customers phone me rather than through the net.
Eventually someone did phone me and bought the instrument off me after a bit of questions on both sides.
Suffice to say...I'd never again try to sell anything through the net unless it was through a site such as this and I was sure I knew the person. Too many would be con artists out there now :evil:
Hugh.
Bluesnote

Postby roninnes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:16 pm

Like JImbo and Derek, I too have bought and sold on Ebay with over 300 transactions and only 1 really bad experience, as a buyer.
I recently sold a Roland drum machine for £200.00 and sent it parcel post with proper insurance and it got there and I received confirmation from the buyer.
The one thing that most people forget is that Ebay is merely a facility for buyer and seller to do business, you do not do business with Ebay whether you buy or sell. They act as intermedieries advertising which you write and through Paypal deal with the money. People blame Ebay for this and that but you are dealing with the seller or buyer and it is they who can be less than honest.
I too had to use Paypal to resolve an issue when money was taken for a "sale" which I knew nothing about till after the fact. They resolved the matter to my complete satisfaction.
Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby Twang46 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Old Fart wrote:. I always state in my item description, that if someone has zero feedback and they bid I will cancel their bids. I also insist that if they are paying via Paypal that they are a verified member with a certified address. That means the address you are sending too is linked to their credit card.

Jimbo

Just a thought Jimbo :- If the first person you tried to buy from on ebay refused to accept your bid what would you have felt like ?

Cheers

Dick.
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby sausage fingers » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:52 pm

Just thought I'd bring this up to date, had an email from Paypal saying they had awarded me the case, the guy never responded when Paypal contacted him with the tracking number and details. Had an email from the guy who still insists he never received the item, although there was a signature he maintains its "not my signature". Seems this guy works for the civil service, so being the person I am I felt sort of a bit sad (yer I know, another mug) so decided to get DHL to investigate anyway, this requires a hand written letter from the guy with his signature - he has also included a copy of his driving licence with a signature that looks like the signature on the letter, but nothing like the signature that DHL supplied. So I'll fill in the forms and send them to DHL with the letter and its up to them.
So this worked out better than I thought, whether the guys a scammer or not I still can't figure out :?
Rob :)
sausage fingers

Full Real Name: rob kay

Previous

Return to The Shadows