Backscratcher and CD reissue of Cliff Goes East

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Backscratcher and CD reissue of Cliff Goes East

Postby JimN » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:47 pm

The track Backscratcher and the EMI CD "Cliff LIVE In Japan '72"...

There was recent talk either here or on a Facebook group about this CD which duplicates most of the "Cliff Goes East" double LP of the early 1970s (leaving out the Marvin / Farrar set which was available on a Fremus CD - except for the track Backscratcher by the same line-up as Marvin and Farrar).

It was pointed out that this disc was no longer available (with s/h copies going at a premium). But I've just had an email from Amazon telling me that it is available again (and at less than £9):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003DVLW3W?ref=em_1p_0_im&ref_=pe_3193591_443723671

Happy hunting...
Last edited by JimN on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Backscratcher and CD reissue of Cliff Goes East

Postby Teflon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:34 pm

I remember buying "Cliff Goes East" from Record Scene as a schoolboy back in the early '70s (still have it in the attic). I seem to recall it cost me £4.80, which was fiendishly expensive at the time, even for a double album. Had to think long and hard before purchasing.

I really must revisit some of my old albums.

Cliff (not going east)
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby George Geddes » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:22 pm

According to that link, it's £8.69 for the MP3 download... with CD at an eye-watering £48!

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Moderne » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:06 pm

That's a lot of money to pay not to get the superb Marvin-Farrar set (The Fremus 'Dakota' CD is now quite hard to find).

It's (the Cliff in Japan '72 CD...minus the Marvin-Farrar set) available as part of the "Cliff...and they said it wouldn't last" boxed set which comes up occasionally on eBay. On balance this is probably worth having for the reproduction Move It! 78, the booklet and the other CDs...

Here's a recent one that sold: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIFF-RICHAR ... 7675.l2557

Actually...not sure if it did sell. Might be worth contacting the seller...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby JimN » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:52 pm

George Geddes wrote:According to that link, it's £8.69 for the MP3 download... with CD at an eye-watering £48!
George

It was £8.69 in the email I got from Amazon.
JimN

Postby Teflon » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:30 pm

George Geddes wrote:According to that link, it's £8.69 for the MP3 download... with CD at an eye-watering £48!

George

Just had a look at one of those inflation calculation websites, and the £4.80 I spent on Cliff Goes East back in the 70's is around £65.00 in todays money :o . No wonder I can remember the purchase so well.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby George Geddes » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:59 pm

I may invest in the MP3 album which is good value - I have the Fremus CD so could put the Cliff goes East double album as a playlist and burn a pair of CDs.

George
George Geddes

Postby George Geddes » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:23 pm

Further investigation shows that the album is also available on iTunes for £7.99

George
George Geddes

Postby drakula63 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:43 am

Teflon wrote:I remember buying "Cliff Goes East" from Record Scene as a schoolboy back in the early '70s (still have it in the attic). I seem to recall it cost me £4.80, which was fiendishly expensive at the time, even for a double album. Had to think long and hard before purchasing.

I really must revisit some of my old albums.

Cliff (not going east)

I bought 'Cliff Goes East' from John Freisen/Record Scene in the early 1980s. Can't remember what I paid for it. But I do know that by the mid 90s it was valued at about £200 by Record Collector. I think it has dropped in value now for some reason.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby JimN » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:23 pm

drakula63 wrote:I bought 'Cliff Goes East' from John Freisen/Record Scene in the early 1980s. Can't remember what I paid for it. But I do know that by the mid 90s it was valued at about £200 by Record Collector. I think it has dropped in value now for some reason.

I remember seeing it for sale at Rushworth & Dreaper in Liverpool for about £4 in 1973. At the time, I had other economic priorities.

The market for secondhand copies of the original LPx2 took a nose-dive when Fremus issued the M & F set (plus Backscratcher) as part of the "Dakota" CD in 1994. Some, but certainly not all, of Cliff's set had been released over forty years ago on a budget LP (MFP 50307) and the rest had actually been released on another Fremus CD in 1994: "Oriental Gems" (CDFR 0527) - taken from the same clean vinyl source as "Dakota". EMI's later reissue of the other three sides of the double LP as "Cliff LIVE In Japan '72" further acted to depress the used price of the vinyl release.
JimN

Next

Return to The Shadows