Backscratcher and CD reissue of Cliff Goes East

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Backscratcher and CD reissue of Cliff Goes East

Postby Didier » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:33 am

I bought "Cliff goes East" vinyl double album second hand on eBay some years ago, I dont remember the price, but it wasn't terribly expensive.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Teflon » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:20 pm

drakula63 wrote:I bought 'Cliff Goes East' from John Freisen/Record Scene in the early 1980s. Can't remember what I paid for it. But I do know that by the mid 90s it was valued at about £200 by Record Collector. I think it has dropped in value now for some reason.

I bought mine from the branch in Chertsey where I live, but I used to pay frequent visits to John Freisens store in Ashford for obvious reasons. On each visit, I used to stare longingly at an impressive white guitar bearing Hanks signature which was hanging above a doorway in the store. I knew nothing about guitars back then, and it was to be another 45 yrs or so before I finally got to buy my very own Burns Marvin re-issue - just like the one from Record Scene :D

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby UlrichS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Just a small note - the "Cliff Goes East" album (SCX 5054-6 from EMI New Zealand and S-LEAC 1041/2 from EMI South East Asia) misses two tracks from the original "Cliff 'live' in Japan '72" album (EOP-93077B): The two Marvin & Farrar songs "Something" and "Keep The Customer Satisfied" are not included.
The Italian Fremus CD "Dakota" (CDFR 0520) has these two tracks.
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby JimN » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:35 pm

UlrichS wrote:Just a small note - the "Cliff Goes East" album (SCX 5054-6 from EMI New Zealand and S-LEAC 1041/2 from EMI South East Asia) misses two tracks from the original "Cliff 'live' in Japan '72" album (EOP-93077B): The two Marvin & Farrar songs "Something" and "Keep The Customer Satisfied" are not included.
The Italian Fremus CD "Dakota" (CDFR 0520) has these two tracks.

Quite so. It means that if you have the Fremus CDs, you have all the material from the more comprehensive of the LP releases.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:10 pm

As a little P.S.

Way back in 1994 one of my friends did some work for me. He didn't want paying but asked if he could have a couple of my LPs as payment. For some reason I said 'yes' and allowed him to have 'Cliff Goes East' and 'Cliff Richard '74 Tour' - both double albums. He's not a Cliff fan (although he does like Cliff's version of Marmaduke) and this is a guy who once bought a box load of old LPs in an auction, for about a fiver or something, because there was one LP in there that was worth £500 !!! Anyway, I got a bit suspicious, so I went into town and checked the valuations in a record valuation book (! what else? !). That was when I discovered that both albums were worth far more than I would have paid him for the work! He was no fool. I actually can't remember what happened after that!

In fairness, he's still a very good friend of mine and just one of those people who can't resist a 'bargain'. We all used to call him 'Lovejoy'.

I have both albums on CD now so maybe I let him keep the LPs? I just can't remember!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby anniv 63 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:26 pm

There is a vinyl double album copy on EBay currently at£29.95 and another seller at£35
Think I paid around a fiver for one new at HMV shop around 1980?

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby UlrichS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:25 pm

anniv 63 wrote:There is a vinyl double album copy on EBay currently at£29.95 and another seller at£35
Think I paid around a fiver for one new at HMV shop around 1980?

Mike

These are copies of the "Cliff Goes East" 2LP.
If someone should be interested in the Japanese vinyl release (EOP-93077B) there is an EX/EX/EX copy available on Discogs from a UK seller for GBP 30 (https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1063821284)
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:16 am

Just listened to Backscratcher, hmm, cannot say that it is my cup of tea - but it is very well performed, by musicians who seem to throw in everything but the kitchen sink?

It reminds me of the theme music one used to hear in USA cop movies in the period roughly 1966 to 1979 - say Bullet, Dirty Harry, or John Wayne in Brannigan.

Considering the involvement of Brian (and Warren) Bennett in film/TV themes and background scores, I think I see a connection there.

From what I have already heard of Cliff Richard cover versions, I would be interested in what a band consisting of Hank, John, Alan,Brian + other musicians, sounds like, backing Cliff in a wide ranging number of tunes, including a mixture of Cliff's hits and covers of songs of that era.

When I consider that most artists who grew up in the 1940's and 1950's were very influenced by Jazz music (in its many variations and genres), I think I can see a link between tunes like Backscratcher and even Red Back, which Hank performed on his late period solo tours.

I would not describe myself as a huge fan of Jazz, but akin to saying that one does not like Art, Jazz ranges so far and wide, so there is always something one can find to like or consider, IMHO, within its ranks?

Thank you once again to the members of this forum for all their informative posts.
Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby russ » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:52 am

Picked up a 2 LP set from a a record fair in Norwich last year for £20. Wasn't the Japanese release but was from Singapore. One track missing "Keep the Customer Satisfied". Sound quality pretty good though.Wonder why it was left off?
russ

Full Real Name: Russell Smith

Postby iefje » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:06 pm

One thing I don't understand, is why not all musicians have been mentioned on the record sleeves of these records. On "Cliff 'Live' In Japan '72" only Hank Marvin, John Farrar, Brian Bennett, Olivia Newton-John and Pat Carroll have been mentioned, while on "Cliff Goes East" only Hank, John, Brian, Alan Hawkshaw and Olivia have been mentioned.

For the record, the full line-up is as follows:

Cliff's set:

Cliff Richard - Lead vocals
Hank Marvin - Lead guitar
John Farrar - Rhythm guitar
Brian Bennett - Drums
Trevor Spencer - Percussion
Alan Tarney - Bass guitar
Alan Hawkshaw - Organ and piano
Olivia Newton-John - Backing vocals
Pat Carroll - Backing vocals

Marvin & Farrar set: