Assistance required... Possible "Later Years" CD box set...

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Assistance required... Possible "Later Years" CD box set...

Postby JimN » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:07 pm

As some already know, I have been working on and off on a suggested track listing for a Warner / Parlophone CD set as a later-years supplement to "The Early Years (expanded edition)".

This has now been narrowed down to 144 tracks, which includes 20 mono mixes of pre-1967 single and EP tracks which have never been made available on a UK or EMI CD.

As well as the mono versions of those older tracks, all "official" releases from 1st January 1967 onward have been included except for live recordings and the alternative versions included on the 1997 CD "The Shadows At Abbey Road". This is a straightforward analogue of the "Early Years" concept of a "complete studio recordings" set.

I don't want to place the whole listing here (tempting though it is), but I have agreed with Tim Chacksfield that I will send him my list today and will follow it up with the reactions and counter-suggestions (if any) of other knowledgeable fans - in time for an important meeting next week.

Who among you would be able to (a) give my listing an immediate look (by email) and also able to let me have your reactions by email within the next few days?

If you can help, please PM me at this site with your email address.

Thanks in advance.

JimN
Last edited by JimN on Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Assistance required... Possible "Later Years" CD box set

Postby Arpeggio » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:30 pm

I will certainly assist Jim in any way possible. I should think that there are quite a few people on the forum who would like to see what Jim is proposing and offer up comments / suggestions. This could be one final, big opportunity to get everything out on CD once and for all.
Arpeggio

Postby drakula63 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:41 am

The only thing I would suggest, if it hasn't been considered or included already, would be the oft mentioned 'Hi-Heel Sneakers' which was apparently recorded for Shades of Rock, but not included. If this was omitted simply for timing reasons, rather than it being considered not good enough, then its inclusion on such a set would be just another reason for us to buy it. Of course, if this 'Later Years' set is only to include released tracks, then this might not even be eligible. But it would be nice to get it out there once and for all.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby JimN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:18 pm

I have now finished the listing to be suggested to Warner / Parlophone.

It includes High Heel Sneakers, requested by several respondents - after all, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

There are 127 main tracks in my list, dating from first releases in January 1967 (the two instrumentals from "Cinderella") to October 1997 (the four "new" instrumental tracks included on "The Shadows At Abbey Road").

Additionally, there are further 31 tracks requested in mono, all of which are repeats of material here or from the earlier CDx6 "The Early Years - expanded edition", with one addition - the German 45 release from October 1968 of I Can't Forget in mono. So that's a total of 158 tracks.

Mono tracks which were re-issued on the CD Digipack series of LPs in mono and stereo on the same disc have not been included. Neither have I requested any of the more esoteric alternative versions, preferring to keep things simple and to concentrate on the stereo and mono releases as published - mainly on vinyl - in the UK and in two cases, in Japan and Germany.

Let's see how it turns out...
Last edited by JimN on Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimN

Postby iefje » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:18 am

That sounds very promising Jim, thank you very much for your efforts so far! :thumbup:
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 am

iefje wrote:That sounds very promising Jim, thank you very much for your efforts so far! :thumbup:

Ivo,

If you let me have an email address by PM, I'll send you the listing as an Excel file.

JN
JimN

Postby RogerCook » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:54 am

Good work Jim. Fingers crossed this will happen!
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby leosden » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi Jim,
Any chance you can PM me about this.......
Juliette
leosden

Full Real Name: Pat Read

Postby JimN » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:34 pm

leosden wrote:Hi Jim,
Any chance you can PM me about this.......
Juliette

Done.
JimN

Postby JimN » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:37 pm

With reminders - mainly from lefje - about odd tracks in the mid-1960s, I have now revised the listing to 162 tracks in total, including 35 in mono.
JimN

Next

Return to The Shadows