Radio 4 Cooking In A Bedsitter

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Radio 4 Cooking In A Bedsitter

Postby Arpeggio » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:00 pm

Comedy drama based around Katherine Whitehorn's 1960s classic paperback (beloved of students everywhere), "Cooking In A Bedsitter". Nice 30 minute programmes, gentle humour and narration by K W herself. Also features great 60s Music snippets. Now, the opening always features "The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt". VERY close to the Shadows sound...but I am not certain that it is actually them? Certainly not the 1964 EMI recording. Maybe the Polydor re - make??? If anyone else has a chance to listen...I would welcome your views. You can find it on iplayer etc. The Shads definitely featured at the end of tonight's episode too. I need to listen again..."Alentejo"?? Whichever track...it WAS the Shads. Definitely....but "R & F O F Bunt"...I am uncertain about. Very mysterious eh??

Cheers! Rob
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Re: Radio 4 Cooking In A Bedsitter

Postby MartcasterJunior » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:43 pm

I listened to this on iPlayer last year and was reasonably sure that it was the Polydor remake of Flingel Bunt, which was odd given the choice of original 60s recordings elsewhere in the series.

Matt
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Matthew Verrill

Postby Moderne » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:13 pm

It was Bossa Roo at the end. Incidentally, another Radio 4 programme this week ("Winds of Change") about the history of modern Britain had a very feeble version of Telstar as its theme (definitely not The Tornados' original!). I would think that most people hearing this would definitely agree with the narrator's assertion that the best thing about 1963 was the advent of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones!!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Arpeggio » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 pm

Thanks guys. I knew someone would have the answers. I confess that I seldom, if ever, play the Shads' own re-recordings of their original 60s hits. So much so that I even thought their own re-recording of "F Bunt" was a cover version. :lol: D'Oh!!!
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Postby MartcasterJunior » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:13 pm

On a positive note, I believe if the Polydor versions are used then Brian gets a royalty whereas he doesn't for the originals!
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Matthew Verrill

Postby Keith Bateman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:59 am

I like this programme very much and intended to post about it myself but Rob's beaten me to it! I love the way the lyrics of the 60s songs snippets (some of which are not well-known) are always relevant to the plot. Shadows music is a bonus. Highly recommended.
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Postby artyman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:40 pm

There were a couple of Shads tunes in "Scarborough" the other night.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:22 pm

I listened to this evening’s episode in the car and wondered why they’d used the wrong Flingel Bunt.
Nice surprise to get a burst of Big B!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Return to The Shadows