Shadows 60th?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows 60th?

Postby Fenderman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:55 pm

With a career spanning from 1959-1990 then on and off since then it would be nice to have a good, comprehensive documentary with perhaps 2 or 3 episodes including coverage of the MW&F period.
What would also be nice would be a DVD/Blue-ray release with extras (unseen footage, bonus interviews etc). Hope they interview Hank as well but might prove to expensive.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby iefje » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:51 pm

And perhaps also mention of the various solo activities which followed the break-ups of the group and ran parallel when they were together in later years. Interviews with all involved would also be great. I don't know if any interview material exists of those who are not with us anymore, for instance interviews with Jet, Tony, John Rostill and Norrie Paramor.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby MartcasterJunior » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:19 am

Interesting. Are Channel 4 known for their documentaries on musical acts? None spring to mind (unlike the one-off ones that have been done for BBC Four over the years). I wonder if it's going to be part of a series covering other bands?

(And I don't want to appear too cynical but can I just be the first to say about it "Well that was a missed opportunity. They didn't even talk about <insert important career moment>"?!)
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Matthew Verrill

Postby alewis41 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:51 am

MartcasterJunior wrote:Interesting. Are Channel 4 known for their documentaries on musical acts? None spring to mind (unlike the one-off ones that have been done for BBC Four over the years). I wonder if it's going to be part of a series covering other bands?

(And I don't want to appear too cynical but can I just be the first to say about it "Well that was a missed opportunity. They didn't even talk about <insert important career moment>"?!)

Indeed. The only certainty is that everyone on this board will be disappointed with the documentary.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby iefje » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:04 am

Well, I think I'll wait and see it first, before I make any comments.
iefje

Postby rjw » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:00 pm

A documentary would be very interesting but hopefully they don't fall into the trap of adopting the same old footage and story lines. There is huge interest in what the individual members have achieved as part of the group and individually.
The arrangements they adopted from the very beginning were way ahead of their time. Relatively easy for tribute bands to copy now (up to a point) but to create them in the first place, an entirely different story. Any documentary should pay tribute to their contribution as musicians, follow their development as players and arrangers in detail rather than relying on interviews with the usual lineup of celebs saying how they were influenced by them, cos we've heard all that before.
rjw

Postby Hank2k » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:01 am

as a side note the shadows must be really unique. How many other bands have clubs all over the world that meet up and play their music etc? The beatles are huge but the occasional convention and thats it.

The Shadows should be celebrated purely for the number of people who have taken up guitar playing either professionally or for fun, they are an introduction to guitar playing and you can learn so much from their songs over the years.
Hank2k

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:48 am

I also made sure that Jet would be involved by sending relevant emails to Audrey Knapp who will ensure Janet looks after Jet's interests. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:53 am

iefje wrote:Well, I think I'll wait and see it first, before I make any comments.

The thing here is, you make it sound as though your comments will matter, or have any bearing on it.
There's too much negativity on here, these people are trying to do right by The Shadows and we have to accept that they'll do the research. They told me they were in touch with Bruce & Brian and now there's a link to Jet.
be thankful that someone is doing something. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby iefje » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:45 am

dave robinson wrote:
iefje wrote:Well, I think I'll wait and see it first, before I make any comments.

The thing here is, you make it sound as though your comments will matter, or have any bearing on it.
There's too much negativity on here, these people are trying to do right by The Shadows and we have to accept that they'll do the research. They told me they were in touch with Bruce & Brian and now there's a link to Jet.
be thankful that someone is doing something. :)

My comment may have sounded negative, but I didn't mean it that way. I am really thankful that the initiative is being taken to make a documentary about The Shadows and I'm sure it will be very worthwhile. My comment was a reaction to others who commented in a negative and prejudiced way in this thread. And of course my opinion will have no influence on the production of the documentary and is not meant to be.
iefje

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows