Shadows 60th?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shadows 60th?

Postby howarddobson » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:57 am

I wondered if there was any kind of whisper of an update on the Shads doing something for their 60th anniversary.

With Hank Marvin Gold our you’d think there’d be scope for a Shads compilation at least. I always thought a Cliff and Shads number ones album would be good - perhaps with a bonus CD of rare tracks.

Brian Bennett talked of a ‘last chapter yet to be written’ for his book and I always wondered if that alluded to a celebration of some kind. Not necessarily a tour, perhaps a documentary or new DVD.

I know Leo’s Den mentioned the group would like to do something but didn’t know what.

On another topic - hope Hank has another album on the way soon :)
howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

Re: Shadows 60th?

Postby Fenderman » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Can't see anything happening anytime soon, remember they're all mostly retired now.
I'm sure Bruce & Brian would like to do something but Hank isn't interested anymore, he said they couldn't top the 50th anniversary tour back in 2009/2010.
A new CD of unreleased tracks would be nice and there is a slight possibility of more BBC tracks being released and Brian's much delayed biography surely must be ready to be published but beyond that i can't see any DVD or documentary being made which is a real shame - it would be nice while they're still around.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby drakula63 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:19 pm

I genuinely think that I have got more chance of being the first man on Mars than there is of seeing the Shadows reunite again. I don't believe it will happen.

On the other hand, the success of the 'Live at the BBC' CD seems to suggest that another one of these would be warmly welcomed. I agree that a 'Worldwide Number Ones' album, for example, would be great, as I know they have had hits in countries that weren't hits over here. Only one that springs to mind is Hank's #1 NZ hit with 'Sacha', which suggests to me that there MUST be others.

If the BBC could be persuaded to do a 'Shadows at the BBC' TV compilation, then that would be good - but I've tried to get them interested and they don't even reply.

As it is, I think the best we can reasonably hope for would be another group recording, such as the one on Brian's Shadowing John Barry CD. I doubt very much that Hank would be willing to do anything much beyond that. Worth remembering that it's now a decade since the Cliff and the Shads reunion tour and 15 years since the Shads final tour. These were well attended and well recorded (DVD, Bluray, CD) and I can't see any of them feeling a need to do it all again!

Having said all of that... life is full of surprises! :D
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:01 pm

drakula63 wrote:If the BBC could be persuaded to do a 'Shadows at the BBC' TV compilation, then that would be good - but I've tried to get them interested and they don't even reply.

I'm not sure how much BBC video of the Shadows survives. Many of the old clips we've all seen were from ITV programmes.
Out of interest, whom did you try to contact?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby drakula63 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 am

Iain Purdon wrote:
drakula63 wrote:If the BBC could be persuaded to do a 'Shadows at the BBC' TV compilation, then that would be good - but I've tried to get them interested and they don't even reply.

I'm not sure how much BBC video of the Shadows survives. Many of the old clips we've all seen were from ITV programmes.
Out of interest, whom did you try to contact?

(Here's my post from August 14th 2017. So looks like I sent it in 2016. There's more than enough stuff to fill a one hour slot and I believe that a couple more things have surfaced since then. It could be done.)

About a year ago I sent a very detailed proposal to the BBC for a "The Shadows @ the BBC" programme - giving two alternate running orders and all timings etc. I sent it to two different people, Mark Cooper and Charlotte Moore. I never even got an acknowledgement.

Remember we pay their wages and they can't even be bothered to acknowledge a letter. My email address was on both.

This is what suggests to me that the BBC aren't likely to be doing anything about the Shadows any time soon.

As to the most likely...

I honestly think it would have to be an independent production company or producer who would then sell it on. Someone like Jon Brewer who makes a lot of music docs.
drakula63

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:41 pm

This comes back to me now. Yes, not getting a reply would annoy me. But I think you’re right about the independent route. So much TV is made that way these days.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:19 am

Channel 4 are making a documentary on The Shadows, I have been contacted by them in relation to it’s connection with Shadows clubs all over the UK and they called me and I answered quite a lot of questions, so I know they are in touch with Brian and Bruce. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby drakula63 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:23 am

dave robinson wrote:Channel 4 are making a documentary on The Shadows, I have been contacted by them in relation to it’s connection with Shadows clubs all over the UK and they called me and I answered quite a lot of questions, so I know they are in touch with Brian and Bruce. :)

That's incredible! That's the last thing I expected to happen! That's the best news I've heard (so far) today! A doco such as this is long overdue. It's now 60 years since 'The Drifters' became 'The Shadows' and so the timing is perfect!
:thumbup:
drakula63

Postby Didier » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:46 am

dave robinson wrote:Channel 4 are making a documentary on The Shadows, I have been contacted by them in relation to it’s connection with Shadows clubs all over the UK and they called me and I answered quite a lot of questions, so I know they are in touch with Brian and Bruce. :)

Interesting ! I hope they know that the Shadows still have fans all over the world, not only in the UK...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby iefje » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:09 am

That's great news indeed! I hope it will be something along the lines of The Beatles' "Anthology" series, with footage of complete live performances from television. I don't think it will be a multiple episode production though.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Next

Return to The Shadows