Shadows 60th?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows 60th?

Postby drakula63 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:43 pm

This is the most exciting Shadows news since 2003. I can't wait. I gather that they have been in touch with Hank, Bruce, Brian and Cliff and many others. I should also point out that I have been told that the documentary is being made by BBC FOUR and not Channel 4. This does sound more likely, as BBC FOUR do have a reputation and history of making music documentaries. Channel 4 don't. Mind you, I suppose both BBC FOUR and Channel 4 could be making one at the same time?!!!!

Seriously, this is great news. This documentary (whoever is making it!) has been a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time coming (too long) and I know I shall be glued to the telly when it's on. Sounds to me like it's being timed to coincide with the 60th anniversary of Apache, next summer.

I think we should all be happy about this.

:D
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:35 pm

You're right Chris. I hope it will also be released on DVD and Blu-Ray.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby David Martin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Excellent...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby drakula63 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:51 pm

Received an email from the BBC a few days ago... I'll quote a couple of bits from it...

Hi Chris

Thanks for contacting us at the BBC.

Your suspicions are correct, we can confirm BBC Four is currently in development with a Shadows 60th Anniversary documentary!

It won't be shown until 2020,
drakula63

Postby Fenderman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:36 pm

This is good news - shame I need to wait till next year but could be to coincide with it being the 60th anniversary of Apache being released.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby drakula63 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:48 pm

Fenderman wrote:This is good news - shame I need to wait till next year but could be to coincide with it being the 60th anniversary of Apache being released.

Yeah, I think it is. In my email I said something like "...I suspect this is to coincide with the 60th anniversary of Apache..." and thus the reply said "...Your suspicions are correct..."

The timing of an actual anniversary is a slightly tricky one when you think about it. The band was formed, as it were, in 1958. But they didn't become 'The Shadows' by name until 1959. And yet it wasn't until 1960 and 'Apache' that they really 'arrived' in their own right, if you see what I mean? For me, the 60th anniversary of Apache is a very, very important one and in many ways just as important as the anniversary of their formation, etc. That's how I see it, anyway.
drakula63

Postby Fenderman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:51 pm

I hope we get to see some unseen footage from the early years (if any survives) and also some juicy gossip though I think that may be wishful thinking.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:37 pm

My apologies, the TV firm that I spoke with are called Spun Gold and one email said it was for the BBC. I don't know where I got channel four from. :oops:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:37 am

drakula63 wrote:For me, the 60th anniversary of Apache is a very, very important one and in many ways just as important as the anniversary of their formation.

I agree with that. The Beatles “arrived” in 1963 with Please Please Me, their first in a long line of No 1 hits. Their journey to that point is well known to fans but not to the general public at the time.
Likewise with the Shadows. Apache is what made everyone sit up and take notice.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby MikeAB » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:54 am

Steve Reynolds' point about the bedroom players and inspired players is very important to round off the documentary. Young people quite often don't seem to have heard of them at all (maybe just as CR and The ---), yet in the real silent majority world they and Hank are still unbelievably and quietly HUGE.
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows