Situation with new Shadows releases

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Situation with new Shadows releases

Postby seeknp » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi. First of all i am a new member in Newport South Wales.

Please forgive me if this is posted to incorrect forum.

I am seeing in all sorts of places items referring to new Shadows releases right now. It looks as though the group has released RANGE but i have not been able to find it anywhere in online retail outlets. Can you help me please? Also any info on any other new releases please thank you.

FYI i have come from NZ although british born and have been here for 2 years. In NZ i belonged to what was called SCOFA run from Australia and though contacts in that I was able to meet Hank, Bruce and Brian a number of times. I think Mark Griffiths and Cliff Hall might have been there as well. I got Bruce to autograph my copy of his autobiography. so i have been a fan for the group for a long time.

Looking forward to hearing from any fans please.

Thank you

Alistair Clarke
seeknp

Re: Situation with new Shadows releases

Postby iefje » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Welcome to the forum Alistair! What exactly do you mean by "RANGE", the track "Riders Of The Range"? If so, the track was released on the album "Life In The Jungle" in September, 1982.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:10 pm

Hello, Alistair.

I am not familiar with any Shadows track called Range and also not aware of any new Shadows recordings since Life Story back in 2004 and one of the tracks on the Brian Bennett CD "Shadowing John Barry" a few years ago.

An obvious question is whether you might be thinking of Riders Of The Range from the "Life In The Jungle" album of 1982?

Here it is (in a live version):

Last edited by JimN on Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RogerCook » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:55 pm

I have had a notification that The Shadows had released a "new album" called Range. I'm not clear where the notification came from but I suspect it was from some form of news app on an Android device. It clearly wasn't legit so I ignored it and deleted the notification. If I get another I'll investigate further.

I've had the same thing with "new" Cliff albums too.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby George Geddes » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Like Roger, I have had a few of these, for Duane eddy and the Spotnicks as well as The Shadows and Cliff.

I suspect they may be downloadable compilations, legal or otherwise

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby seeknp » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:31 am

Hi Roger and George.

Just noticed this in Google today.

This is just part of what has appeared.

“ Waterfall -A album by the Shadows

14 tracks including
Big Boy
Nivram
Sleepwalk
Shadoogie

Release date: 19 June 2019
Label: volare restart”

this looks fake to me. What do you think?

Alistair
seeknp

Postby RogerCook » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:41 pm

If you Google "volare restart waterfall" it takes you to a film soundtrack album, not The Shadows!

The track listing Alistair posted looks like a compilation of Shads tracks, possibly someone's playlist from a streaming site but not a new album!
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:10 am

Even if it is a new album the tracks aren’t. The Shadows are no longer active so any new release would simply be an attempt to monetise existing material again. The only exception is the release of material that has not previously been issued, for example the BBC recordings. There may be more of those to come if we’re lucky.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Fenderman » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Yeah i was wondering about a BBC volume 2 - i'm sure someone said 'watch this space' but so far, nothing. There's plenty of pre 1965 recordings in the vaults to make up a CD. I guess it all depends on how much the new BBC sessions CD sold.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby JimN » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:14 pm

Fenderman wrote:Yeah i was wondering about a BBC volume 2 - i'm sure someone said 'watch this space' but so far, nothing. There's plenty of pre 1965 recordings in the vaults to make up a CD. I guess it all depends on how much the new BBC sessions CD sold.

There are also three recordings from the late 1973 "John Peel sessions" which were not used on the "Shadows live at the BBC" CD. One of them was omitted because an earlier version was included, but the "missing" tracks by Hank, Bruce, John Farrar, Brian Bennett (doubling keys) and Mo Foster are:

Dance On!
The Frightened City
The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Next

Return to The Shadows