The Shadows and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

Postby petercreasey » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:18 pm

If only the original recording is regarded as the " original" and any other arrangement is a " cover" then all we will have is recordings...... therefore no live music. The discos might like that BUT??????

I remember being told that I had played a tune wrongly because it was not the same as the original record, that is not wrong it is a different interpretation. Music is an art form and the performance is an interpretation.
I have yet to witness anyone giving a live performance which is exactly as the original recording.

Oh don't get me started!!!!

Take care
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:59 am

Spot on, Peter
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:31 pm

According to Wikipedia, Hooked On Classics was classical music played to a disco beat. (Glad I missed out on that.)

No, the one I'm thinking of was definitely called Classic Rock; It came out in 1978 on the K-Tel label and consisted of various rock and pop songs played by the London Symphony Orchestra. I utterly hated it and all its follow ups.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Rick50 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:32 am

if there's any orchestration going on, Brian Bennett would be the man. Something new would be wonderful, come on Hank, Bruce and Brian! :geek:
Rick50

Postby JimN » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:11 pm

How about a "Shadows and the RPO" (or the LSO, or the RLPO) album of their tunes with "sort of" strings from the Rollover period? And perhaps include some which they didn't even treat to the synth solution, such as Apache and The Stranger?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Stuart » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:31 pm

dave robinson wrote:Please no.
Norris Paramore’s orchestral arrangements will never be bettered and the ones that don’t have it, don’t need it.
It would be clutter. :|

I have to agree Dave.Norrie Paramor's orchestral arrangement on the Shadows recordings were just right.They were often subtle and tasteful and added interest to the recording without detracting from the melody.There is nothing worse than the kitchen sink ,all in, orchestral wash of sound heard behind so many other artists...something Norrie Paramor never did with performers as good as the Shadows.
Stuart

Full Real Name: Stuart Watson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:55 am

Stuart wrote:
dave robinson wrote:Please no.
Norris Paramore’s orchestral arrangements will never be bettered and the ones that don’t have it, don’t need it.
It would be clutter. :|

I have to agree Dave.Norrie Paramor's orchestral arrangement on the Shadows recordings were just right.They were often subtle and tasteful and added interest to the recording without detracting from the melody.There is nothing worse than the kitchen sink ,all in, orchestral wash of sound heard behind so many other artists...something Norrie Paramor never did with performers as good as the Shadows.

I didn’t make that comment off the top of my head, as I am always looking to improve a recording where possible.
The fact is that I bought the Elvis and Roy Orbison albums that had been dubbed in this way and I have heard some of the Buddy Holly tracks and I don’t think there is any improvement on any of those songs that makes me want to hear them more than the original recordings, in fact I played Elvis and Orbison a couple of times and put the CDs in the drawer out of the way in favour of the originals. To me it’s just an exercise in money making by the record companies and serves no purpose. As far as The Shadows were concerned, Norrie got it right. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby neil2726 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:16 am

Actually adding strings doesn't always work! To me "Theme For Young Lovers" sounds better in its original form then the added Strings (synths) of the later stage versions!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Previous

Return to The Shadows