Lakeside 22nd Sept. Celebration of Shadow Music

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Lakeside 22nd Sept. Celebration of Shadow Music

Postby leosden » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:53 am

INTERNATIONAL CELEBRATION OF THE SHADOWS MUSIC.
22nd September - Lakeside Country Club

The above date is almost upon us and as you can see it has been re-titled this year an International event.
We again will be there and can take along any orders for guests to collect on the day thereby saving on postage.
Roy and Kathy Cresswell will not be organising their social evening on the Friday that was so enjoyed
in the past but Lakeside have sent us the following note to pass on.

"This year the Friday evening arrangements will be a little different to those in the past. After dinner, the Peninsular
Lounge will be available free of charge for guests who wish to set up equipment and play. Guests are able to pre-book
for the evening carvery in the Lakeside International Hotel restaurant at a cost of £18.50 per head. For more information
and reservations, please call the hotel direct on 01252 838000."

Tickets available from http://www.lakesidesurrey.co.uk

See you there.
Juliette
leosden

Full Real Name: Pat Read

Re: Lakeside 22nd Sept. Celebration of Shadow Music

Postby barryg » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks Juliette,
Now there will not be a Friday evening "party" there won't be so many people staying at Lakeside on the Friday night so it won't be so much of a weekend like it used to be. So many of us enjoyed getting together for the Friday night Party and playing guitar and seeing the show on the Saturday. That format would draw a lot of people each year but it's a different matter this year.

There was an offer from people to run a Friday night get together where we could play to backing tracks and have a good evening meeting friends. Lakeside were interested but they later declined saying they would do something themselves. Having not heard of anything happening, a few weeks ago a friend told me about this post on the Lakeside web site and Juliette's post above saying The Peninsular Suite is available to set up and play (guitar.) To play Shadows music on electric guitars in the bar would need amplifiers and PA etc and without any proper organisation it would be difficult to make it work successfully. There used to be the Saturday morning for players to play a few tracks but that won't happen this year.

I think Lakeside have been very short sighted in organising this years Shadows event and without a Friday night event people won't be staying on the Friday so they're losing income from hotel rooms and evening dinner sales plus the bar sales.

I will be at the Surrey Shadows club on the Friday to have an evening of Shadows music with club players and bands on stage. What will you choose if you're going at all?

I have been to all the Shadowmania shows except one and all the Lakeside Shadows events but this year may well be my last unless there are some radical changes to tempt me.

What are your views?

Sorry to Hijack your post Juliette.

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby Hank2k » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:14 pm

I tend to agree with the above.

You cant just do something like that as it needs equipment and setting up and someone running things plus i think they have left it too late anyway for people to plan and arrange just 2 weeks before the event??

Is there many people going on the Friday night? The Surrey club as mentioned is on the same night so id imagine a lot of people will be there instead?

Ill always support Lakeside as its a good place to meet up with friends etc but i do think things need to change if this event is to continue going forward
Hank2k

Postby RogerCook » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:39 pm

It could do with Bruce fronting it again!
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:24 pm

If I may say so, this helpful post is by our friends at Leo's Den, not Lakeside, so it's not going to help to complain to them about the arrangements!

I think we've all known for a good while that there wouldn't be a Cresswell Friday Night social, so I imagine hotel bookings have already been made in that knowledge. Apart from locals, many people come a long way to attend and will probably need to stay Friday night anyway. Here is an option to take or leave.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Anyway, to all those attending or taking part, have a great time :)

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby SJB » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:08 pm

I enjoyed the Friday night party and the Saturday morning sessions for the last two years.
That's why I booked Friday and Saturday night early - before this years Friday party situation arose.

But now I have decided to go to Hersham - book into the Hotel in the afternoon - have dinner and go.

It's a pity that the people that offered to organise the kit for the Friday / Sat morning were refused - and a further kick in the teeth to offer the suite to others. I really can't understand this.
Also it seems that it's been left to Leo's to keep us informed. We are not targeting any complaint at them.

So the wife and I will make the meal decision in the afternoon we arrive - when we know if others are eating there or down the pub.

Although I have only been going over the last two years I have picked up vibes of issues with Lakeside being awkward. If this celebration is going forward do we need this particular venue?

Anyway I hope the show goes well.

Stu
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby barryg » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:06 pm

In reply to your quote Ian "If I may say so, this helpful post is by our friends at Leo's Den, not Lakeside, so it's not going to help to complain to them about the arrangements!"[quote][/quote]

My post was about the option to play at Lakeside on the friday night and the lack of any other entertainment on the Friday. The message from Leo's Den was merely a copy of what is published on the Lakeside web site and nothing I said was aimed towards Leo's Den in any way. They merely posted the information in good faith for our information but it's a pity Lakeside didn't publish this to all concerned so we knew a lot earlier to consider our options.

Barry
barryg

Postby leosden » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Re our original message, just heard that Lakeside have cancelled the offer of the Friday night 'play'. Food still available (of course). Don't think they were prepared themselves to do any of the 'prep' work involved that the Cresswell's did so well. They probably expected everyone to bring their own equipment!!! Personally I don't think they realised either how much work behind the scenes that Bruce (and the Cresswells and others) did to make 'Shadowmania' such a success.
Pat
leosden

Full Real Name: Pat Read

Postby barryg » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:24 pm

As Lakeside have cancelled the option to play in the bar on Friday night that says it all. Will they learn from this for next year? Time will tell.

Barry
barryg

Postby Geffers » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:12 pm

leosden wrote:Re our original message, just heard that Lakeside have cancelled the offer of the Friday night 'play'. Food still available (of course). Don't think they were prepared themselves to do any of the 'prep' work involved that the Cresswell's did so well. They probably expected everyone to bring their own equipment!!! Personally I don't think they realised either how much work behind the scenes that Bruce (and the Cresswells and others) did to make 'Shadowmania' such a success.
Pat

As one of the sound guys helping out for many years for the Friday night social you are spot on. Unbelievably short sighted of Lakeside to think you can just 'turn up' with some equipment and play..... It's like saying we're holding a Darts tournament but you must bring your own Dartboard, Dart Mat and referee
Geffers
Geffers

Full Real Name: Geoff Bearpark

Next

Return to The Shadows