Hank on piano..

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank on piano..

Postby EJK » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Gatwick1946 wrote:Hi Eric,

I saw this tour at Lewisham Odeon in 1963, and my recollection matches yours.

Can you remember any of the set list? My recollection is that they closed the first half and the first number was Shazam. The only other number I recall was Nivram.

They would surely have played their current 45rpm - might have been Atlantis? Ah just remembered they played Wonderful Land.

56 years ago now - where does the time go?

Kindest regards,
Christopher

Christopher

What I can recall from that concert was that they were wearing light grey suits and that was the first time I had seen the line up with Brian Locking live in concert. In It'll be me Bruce was sitting on the chair near his amp. for the complete number. The Shadows finished their first half spot, not with FBI, but The Boys.

Hopefully this will be of interest to you.

Eric
EJK

Full Real Name: Eric Kidd

Postby JimN » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:11 pm

iefje wrote:
Derek Mowbray wrote:
Paul Childs wrote:Who played piano on Cliff's Got A Funny Feeling?

I have seen somewhere on a CD sleeve that Max Harris played piano on Got a Funny Feeling.

Could that be the studio version which was recorded with Brian Bennett and Brian Locking about a year after the recording sessions for the "The Young Ones" soundtrack album?

I wonder what on Earth the purpose of that recording was?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby russ » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:23 pm

This is an interesting subject, apart from "Stand up..." and "Kinda Cool". To my ear it sounds like Hank plays piano on "It'll Be Me", "When My Dreamboat Comes Home", "Blueberry Hill", "That's The Way It Goes" and "Batchelor Boy", there are probably others I have forgotten just now. On "The Next Time" there also sounds like there is an organ(?) maybe as well as the piano.Perhaps Hank is playing that instead of the piano which was previously stated as being Norrie , or it's Hank on Piano and Norrie on Organ?
russ

Full Real Name: Russell Smith

Postby iefje » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:26 pm

russ wrote:On "The Next Time" there also sounds like there is an organ(?) maybe as well as the piano.Perhaps Hank is playing that instead of the piano which was previously stated as being Norrie , or it's Hank on Piano and Norrie on Organ?

Norrie actually played both. On the basic track, Norrie played organ and later overdubbed I think celeste (not piano) and the orchestra.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Previous

Return to The Shadows