Spectacular rhythm playing!

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Spectacular rhythm playing!

Postby Bojan » 07 Jan 2010, 21:37

My jaw literally dropped as I watched Tommy Emanuel play rhythm in The Savage . . . I don't think it gets any better than this. :o

Bojan

Re: Spectacular rhythm playing!

Postby Iain Purdon » 07 Jan 2010, 21:54

Brilliant! And he's throwing in a bit of bass too.

Nice to see Zoe in such good musical company.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby des mcneill » 07 Jan 2010, 22:21

Bojan wrote:My jaw literally dropped as I watched Tommy Emanuel play rhythm in The Savage . . . I don't think it gets any better than this. :o

Hi Bojan,
Many thanks for the clip,you very quickly run out of words to describe Tommy's playing.
Des.
des mcneill

Postby John Boyd » 07 Jan 2010, 22:25

WOW!!! I knew he was a great guitarist, but...
Thanks for the link.
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Postby Mikey » 07 Jan 2010, 23:57

That guy is just phenomenal...and that young Zoe played very well too. He's so down to earth and really does encourage new talent.
Mikey

Postby Martin Payne » 08 Jan 2010, 00:02

Tommy was a special guest of The Toronto Shadows Club a few years ago - and a real gent he is. Played rhythm, bass AND lead for The Savage :o As you can imagine, to say we were gob smacked would be an understatement!

Martin
Martin Payne

Postby des mcneill » 08 Jan 2010, 00:20

Mikey wrote:That guy is just phenomenal...and that young Zoe played very well too. He's so down to earth and really does encourage new talent.

Hi Mickey,
I don't know if it applies everywhere but it might,- When Tommy played Belfast he held workshops and admittance was free to any adults accompanied by a child. Children were also admitted free to his concerts.
Des.
des mcneill

Postby cockroach » 08 Jan 2010, 04:24

Tommy did a clinic here in Adelaide, South Australia at a music shop one Saturday morning years ago- some one asked how he did those cascading arpeggiated artificial harmonics, and as he demonstrated, he said "See? It's easy"!!!! I couldn't resist shouting out "NO, it's NOT!"

When I saw him here last June, at one point he said "I'm now going to play un-plugged"....!!!!(Subtle joke!) Then he pulled the lead out from his acoustic/electric, pulled out the rubber bung feedback buster thingy from the guitar soundhole, and sat down on a piano stool in front of the stage microphone - he played a Duke Ellington tune ("C-Jam Blues" ) and two Django tunes ("Nuages" and "Tears")- pure skilled guitar playing, with NO effects, tricks etc...the highlight of his usual brilliant show for me!
cockroach

Postby Didier » 08 Jan 2010, 09:38

Bojan wrote:My jaw literally dropped as I watched Tommy Emanuel play rhythm in The Savage . . . I don't think it gets any better than this. :o

I have seen this video before, and thought the same !

Didier
Didier

Postby John Boulden » 08 Jan 2010, 14:28

Type in Tommy Emanuelle in You tube and you'll get a selection of clips from one of the world's most exciting guitarists...

John Boulden
John Boulden

Next

Return to The Main Board