shades of rock

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

shades of rock

Postby d jones » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi all just had an email from eil.com regarding the shadows shades of rock album which states a new digital remaster is due for release on the 22nd of feb. Does anybody know anything about this and could this be the beginning of a series of rereleases?

Dave
d jones

Re: shades of rock

Postby drakula63 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:34 pm

A fantastic album, very much underrated by just about everyone. I'll write more about it anon. I have a version of it on CD which must have come out at least five or ten years ago, it sounds fantastic to my ears. No doubt a 40th anniversary release will find its way into my collection, if and when it is available...
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby d jones » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi Chris, 2 versions have been released before a digipak in 1999 and a jewel cased version in 2000. According to eil.com this 2010 version has a bonus track which is Scotch on the socks an absolute belter of a track!

Dave
d jones

Postby JimN » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:39 pm

You can add a third extant CD version to the two mentioned above. EMI re-released "Shades Of Rock" in 1992 as part of their original Shadows two LPs on one CD series. It was coupled with the 1966 LP "Shadow Music".

CDP 7 97933 2.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:14 pm

I'm afriad this is probably my least played of all my Shad's albums (i have it on vinyl). It has a couple of good tracks (such as Something) but it's pretty uninspiring stuff i'm sorry to say.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Dave Dixon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:41 pm

The album is indeed on the RPM label and is targeted at the same/similar audience as Aim High and Mo'Hawk. It is unlikely that they will move into more "traditional" Shadows albums but, if there is sufficient interest, they might consider a compilation of some of "related" issues - Thunder Company, Wasp, Spaghetti Junction have all been mentioned.

If anyone can help with scans of magazine cuttings, reviews etc relating to SoR or Scotch on the Socks which could be included in the CD booklet, please contact me by PM in the first instance.

Thanks

Dave
Dave Dixon

Postby drakula63 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Yeah, it's the digipak version that I have, plus the vinyl which I have a feeling I got in the early 80s.

Speaking of RPM, I've got Aim High, by BB, and it is an incredible album of 70s library music. I was hoping that this would be the beginning of another batch of Shadows re-releases from EMI. But obviously not. It's about time that they did a decent CD release of String of Hits, with all the many and varied bonus tracks that it could include. Personally, although I agree that it's brilliant, it's hard to see how Scotch on the Socks fits in with the rest of Shades of Rock. Surely Slaughter on 10th Avenue would have been a better choice.

I did a customer review of Shades of Rock on Play.com, if anyone is interested. I think at least one person found it to be helpful... http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/154313/-/Product.html

;)
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Fenderman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:29 pm

I agree, we need a proper re-issue of 'String of hits'. And what about re-issung all the Polydor albums with b-sides, outakes etc as well?
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Return to The Shadows