Re: Vocal versions of Shads tunes

Postby des mcneill » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Thanks guys, very helpful.

Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby flingelbunt » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:51 pm

Perhaps someone can enlighten me regarding an Indian vocal version of 'Return to the Alamo' which my band 'Bungleflint' played during our act and is featured on YouTube if you search under Bungleflint. We were filmed performing this at the Warwick club about 18 months ago, and suddenly there were links to an Indian 'Bollywood' style movie, with a vocal clearly 'pinched' from 'RTTA'. I've often wondered since whether Hank and the lads have been missing out on some royalties!! Jim N- any thoughts?

Maurice ;)
flingelbunt

Postby ecca » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:12 am

What a good vocal version of FBI by Stiffy !
I loved it, never heard it before.
ecca

Postby JimN » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:11 pm

flingelbunt wrote:Perhaps someone can enlighten me regarding an Indian vocal version of 'Return to the Alamo' which my band 'Bungleflint' played during our act and is featured on YouTube if you search under Bungleflint. We were filmed performing this at the Warwick club about 18 months ago, and suddenly there were links to an Indian 'Bollywood' style movie, with a vocal clearly 'pinched' from 'RTTA'. I've often wondered since whether Hank and the lads have been missing out on some royalties!! Jim N- any thoughts?
Maurice
;)

Hi, Maurice,

It looks as though the links were caused by the comments on the Bollywood video which mentioned Return To The Alamo. YouTube creates these links automatically on the basis of search terms.

No - never encountered that vocal version before - it is very obviously cribbed direct from the Shads' tune - it's even in the right key (though it's spoiled by not following the melody through the middle eight). It's interesting that there are attached public comments about it being a great tune (as it is); it just goes to show that the public are often more attuned to a melody when it is sung rather than played.

Thanks for the interesting link...

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby ecca » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Alan Bakewell and myself and Mick the Marmaliser and Amandadadadadada are going to learn a choral version of FBI as done by Stiffy and perform it at the Hankies, probably around Eastertime.
ecca

Postby captainhaddock » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsOXdBxeQvk

How's about this then Guys and Gals, For me the most bizzare vocal version of a Shadows instrumental track in the history of the world. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????
captainhaddock

Postby drakula63 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Does anyone know which came first; the vocal or instrumental version of 'No, No, Nina' ?

And why did they record two versions?
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby JimN » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:33 pm

The vocal version of No No Nina was issued in 1975. The instrumental wasn't issued until 1997.

JN
JimN

Postby ecca » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:57 pm

captainhaddock wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsOXdBxeQvk

How's about this then Guys and Gals, For me the most bizzare vocal version of a Shadows instrumental track in the history of the world. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????

Complete with a bum chord.......
ecca

Postby JimN » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:11 pm

It's certainly different, Ecca, but not wrong as such.

Quite Beatlesque, really. And the Shads have used that cadence in several songs as well; it's.... an alternative.

JN
JimN

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows