Tips for using your trem!!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Tips for using your trem!!

Postby chas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:23 pm

Here's an extract from 'The Shadows Modern Guitar Tutor' (page 35) from the early 60's - please note the section on 'use of tremelo arm' (!)
guitar_tutor_page_35_001a.JPG
(334.73 KiB) Downloaded 3501 times

Guitar_Tutor_cover_001a.JPG
(238.08 KiB) Downloaded 3501 times

I bet Hank would have laughed...if he ever saw it.......

By the way, I can supply assorted elastic bands, various lengths of string and tape! :D
Chas.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Re: Tips for using your trem!!

Postby Stratpicker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Mmmh? I was always told that the "correct" way to hold a trem bar is with three fingers, so that the tip rests in the palm of your hand.
And I dont see Hank with just his little pinky (finger!!) curled round his trem bar, whatever the Blurb might have said. I wouldnt have thought anyway that you would get the right amount of control and Lift if pulling hard.
cheers
ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby Bluesnote » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Seems to overcomplicate things does'nt it. First time I had a tremolo, I just used it to get the sound that I desired as I had all the Shads tunes in my head. It just came natural to me when playing, I dont ever remember thinking, how do I use this thing???
One thing I remember when learning was off the Bert Weedon book. He stated that you must hold and pick with the plectrum in a certain way by holding your hand so far off the string and at a certain angle etc.
I did this for years, in some cases not being able to get the required sound I wanted til I saw guys like Hendrix and Santana picking almost the exact opposite of the suggestion on Berts book and sounding great.
I was thirteen when I got Berts book, so at that age you believe what you are told I suppose and dont question it.
Thanks for posting that Ian.
Hugh.
Bluesnote

Postby Mikey » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:01 pm

I've played without a pick for years but just lately have started to use one in order to "conform" and it feels odd not having that direct contact with the strings. I still think the human hand with its thumb, nails etc is a much more versatile device!
Mikey

Postby noelford » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:34 pm

It's the age-old problem of trying to describe, precisely, a simple action. Think about picking up a cup of tea and taking a sip. Well, that's the point , you DON"T think about it. But, imagine trying to describe all the necessary actions to an alien who has never done it before, step by step. The poor bugger would end up with tea all over him/her/itself!
noelford

Return to The Shadows