OT: Apologies

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

OT: Apologies

Postby MeBHank » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:09 pm

Hi all...

Many apologies if you have received an email from me which included nothing but scores of email addresses. These email addresses are not in my inbox and I know not who they are! It would seem I have a problem with my email and I am working to resolve it.

Thanks to those who brought this problem to my attention.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Re: OT: Apologies

Postby Risky » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:17 pm

Are you using Microsoft Outlook by any chance? This is the virus-writers favourite target. After years of security updates it is still so full of holes that hackers love it to bits.

Never used it myself - except when I had to use it at work, before retirement.
(ex-guitar player) - now a ukulele and ukulele bass player!
Update: After 10 years absence, now a born-again Hankie
Risky

Full Real Name: Phil Wolstenholme

Postby Tab » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:21 pm

I too, have had this problem in the past week or so - sensing messages to people in my contact list.

I would be grateful if any of you computer experts can advise on resolving this.

Kind regards
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby JimN » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:25 am

MeBHank wrote:Many apologies if you have received an email from me which included nothing but scores of email addresses. These email addresses are not in my inbox and I know not who they are! It would seem I have a problem with my email and I am working to resolve it.
J

Hi, Justin,

I had one of those, but guessed it was the result of a virus attack and discarded it.

The puzzling thing is that you are not the only "Justin" in my address book - there is a Justin (different surname) who occasionally posts on the uk.music.guitar newsgroup - and I had an identical email from his address as well.

Is this virus attacking only Justins?

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Didier » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:33 am

Risky wrote:Are you using Microsoft Outlook by any chance? This is the virus-writers favourite target. After years of security updates it is still so full of holes that hackers love it to bits.
Never used it myself

Never used it either, fot the same reason.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Risky » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:32 pm

Tab wrote:I too, have had this problem in the past week or so - sensing messages to people in my contact list.

I would be grateful if any of you computer experts can advise on resolving this.

Kind regards

Buy an anti-virus program. I use Kasperky Internet Security 2010 (about £20 for a three-user licence - I have several PCs - can't seem to throw them away ;) )

I wouldn't recommend Norton Anti-virus as I have used it many times on desktops and laptops with Windows 95/98/XP and Vista. It seems to have a dramatic impact on the speed of the machine (What Intel giveth, Bill Gates taketh away, and anything left is gobbled up by Norton :lol: )

If money is too tight to mention then get a free download of AVG - I use it on the machines not covered by my Kaspersky licence.

When you have installed your virus checker, look for the bit that is specifically directed at checking your email.

By the way, I have been an AOL user since 1995 and have never had a problem with email - AOL has its own email program built in, which you can access even from a non-AOL PC via the AOL website. As an added bonus Joanna Lumley tells you that you have mail - works for me :D

Phil
(ex-guitar player) - now a ukulele and ukulele bass player!
Update: After 10 years absence, now a born-again Hankie
Risky

Full Real Name: Phil Wolstenholme

Postby Didier » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Risky wrote:I wouldn't recommend Norton Anti-virus as I have used it many times on desktops and laptops with Windows 95/98/XP and Vista. It seems to have a dramatic impact on the speed of the machine (What Intel giveth, Bill Gates taketh away, and anything left is gobbled up by Norton :lol: )

I agree.

If money is too tight to mention then get a free download of AVG.

Don't forget Antivir, generally considered as the best of free anti-virus softwares.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Amanda » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi Justin,

I had another one this morning!

AVG free seems a good package, I've got Trend internet security on my PC,

wouldn't touch Norton with a bargepole!

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby MeBHank » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:15 pm

JimN wrote:
MeBHank wrote:Many apologies if you have received an email from me which included nothing but scores of email addresses. These email addresses are not in my inbox and I know not who they are! It would seem I have a problem with my email and I am working to resolve it.
J

Hi, Justin,

I had one of those, but guessed it was the result of a virus attack and discarded it.

The puzzling thing is that you are not the only "Justin" in my address book - there is a Justin (different surname) who occasionally posts on the uk.music.guitar newsgroup - and I had an identical email from his address as well.

Is this virus attacking only Justins?

JN

It's odd, Jim, but I think it's attacking people whose names start with "Ju". The content of the email is simply a list email addresses that start with "ju".

By the way, folks, I do have an antivirus programme, so I am investigating as to why this has attacked. Matt, the Shadowers' keyboard player, is a computer genius so he should be able to find something.

J
Last edited by MeBHank on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby AlanMcKillop » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:07 pm

I had three, one to my hotmail addy, one to my yahoo addy and one to my home addy ......... and none of them begin with 'JU' :shock:
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Next

Return to The Shadows