Hope you are all Ok. Did you see this video before?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hope you are all Ok. Did you see this video before?

Postby abel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:09 am

Hi all and a serene New Year to you all,

Someone sent me this Youtube video as an online present:
You have probably seen it, I hadn't before.
It's a playback of "Wonderful Land" over the original.

Hope you are all in good health and spirit.
Blessings,
Abel
abel

Full Real Name: Abel Khineche

Re: Hope you are all Ok. Did you see this video before?

Postby John Haldane » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:17 am

Nice to have you back, best wish's for The New year.
Take care
John H
John Haldane

Postby gogarrio » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:34 am

How stately, magnificent, confident and beautiful this whole thing is. The tune, the suits, the guitars, Jet's presence centre stage.
gogarrio

Postby George Geddes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 am

Don't think I've seen that one before... Thanks, Abel.

For me (and Jim N?) this is the classic 'look' of the Shadows - matching red Fenders with rosewood fingerboards. Probably the reason I prefer rosewood to maple.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby abstamaria » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:57 am

As in all of his performances, Jet stands out with his cockiness and self-assurance. He draws attention to himself (as he should) with his sharp moves and (in other videos) his punctuated dance steps. He would probably have been reprimanded if he were in a Broadway-style chorus line, but, as part of the Shadows, he is fun to watch.

The video is also interesting in that it reminds one that the Shadows really didn't move much then, compared to contemporary standards. They were better in this regard than the Ventures (who in the period just stood bolt upright, rarely smiled, and just stared into the distance; Nokie Edwards seemed disconnected from his playing hand), but that was the style then. Or so it was here where I live.

Nowadays, we have to keep the audience interested, particularly if they are not from the period!

That was a good, very evocative video. Thank you.

Andy
Manila
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby chronikman-ch » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:25 am

Thank You...from the Rudi Carell show 1962
All the best from Switzerland
Heinz

Cliff & the Shadows visit Holland in 1962 for two gigs. On the 7th of April the audience was almost out of control at Ahoy in Rotterdam. The day after the roof almost went off at Gebouw Kunsten & Wetenschappen in The Hague. The Hot Jumpers (Dutch Indo Rock group) were the supporting act and get good critics and the compliments from Jet Harris, who was pictured together with Oscar and his Hofner bassguitar. In 1962 The Hot Jumpers were also the supporting for Helen Shapiro at Veilinghal in Blokker.
http://hotjumpers.htm

Television footage of this song and others exists from the 'The Rudi Carrell Show' when Cliff and The Shadows visited Holland on 8 April 1962. On this show The Shadows mime to their current number one hit Wonderful Land and Cliff mimes to Do You Wanna Dance, When The Girl in Your Arms and The Young Ones.(Source Malcolm Campbell's Site)
Last edited by chronikman-ch on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
chronikman-ch

Full Real Name: Heinz M. Rolli

Postby alanbakewell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:26 am

George Geddes wrote:Don't think I've seen that one before... Thanks, Abel.

For me (and Jim N?) this is the classic 'look' of the Shadows - matching red Fenders with rosewood fingerboards. Probably the reason I prefer rosewood to maple.

George

Splendid. Reading this George I couldn't help but think of the snooker commentator who said something to the effect of, "For those of you watching in black and white the blue ball is the one just behind the brown".

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby chas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:06 pm

George Geddes wrote:Don't think I've seen that one before... Thanks, Abel.

George

Same for me! I've seen the 'Do You Wanna Dance' clip from the same show, but not this one. And also echoing what George said about the matching Fenders. As a youngster I was just taking up guitar around then, and yearned for a guitar that looked and sounded like that! And thanks to miming, I was also amazed that the same guitar could produce such an amazing rhythm sound (Ah, the naiviety of youth!)
Chas.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Postby tony parnham » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:58 pm

This video is great. Just one thing that occurred to me though and my facts could be wrong here so I'm searching for confirmation or otherwise but did'nt Brian 'Licorice' Locking play bass on the track Wonderful Land. I thought Jet had departed by then?
Regards Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby Peter K » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi Tony,

Wonderful Land was recorded in 1961 with the first Shadows line-up, including Tony Meehan and Jet Harris.
It was relaesed only in 1962, after Norrie Paramor had added strings and french horns.
The first single which featured Brian Locking was " Guitar Tango ". The first recording of Guitar Tango still featured Jet Harris but the one that was released has Brian Locking on bass.

Best regards Peter K
Peter K

Next

Return to The Shadows