Amusing Shads song titles

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Amusing Shads song titles

Postby chas » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:46 pm

This may well have been covered in the past, but the post by Georges Geddes entitled 'Stars fell On Stockton' started me thinking about all the funny/amusing song titles The Shads have had over the years including a twist on an older song title or phrase etc. Already mentioned in Georges thread was 'Stars Fell On Stockton' and 'Alice In Sunderland'.

It would be interesting to see what members can think of, particularly if they can think of an explanation for the more obscure!

Happy New Year to everyone!
Chas.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Re: Amusing Shads song titles

Postby Arpeggio » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi Chas,
No shortage of amusing titles - The Shadows had a wonderful sense of humour re: silly / punning titles for instros. One of my favourites from the first LP "Theme From A Filleted Place" - clearly a pun upon "Theme From A Summer Place" (& then a double pun re: place / plaice - brilliant).

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby stratmantd » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:37 pm

LOL! It might have worked better if you'd typed Plaice with the I in your post Rob.

I always like The Flyder and the Spy and I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Arthur.
stratmantd

Postby Didier » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Not forgetting 36-24-36 !...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby chas » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:59 pm

They're great aren't they -
I didn't realise until more recent years that 'I Wish I Could Shimmy ..' wasn't quite as off the wall as I'd originally thought, when I came across an old 50's recording called 'I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate'! I also re-call 36-24-36 was considered in those days as the perfect female measurements (I'm sure that's changed these days!).

Another one that tickled me was that the b side of 'The Third Man' was 'The Fourth Man'! :lol:
Keep them coming...
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Postby rogera » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:55 pm

Captain Zlogg, Elevenis, Voyage to the Bottom of the Bath, Outdigo, With a Hmm-Hmm on My Knee, Quatermasster’s Stores etc

I think that many of them were inspired by their love of humour particularly 'The Goons'.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby Didier » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:44 am

Another one : "Captain Haddock is missing"...

Here is the explanation for the choice of this title Warren Bennett gave me (at my request) :
I am a big Tintin fan and collector.
At the time of this piece of music, my keys for Honeyhill Studios were kept on a Captain Haddock keyring. The keyring was lost for several weeks,and so I couldn’t get in the studio – So that is where the title “Captain Haddock is Missing” comes from…..
Cheers
Warren

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Martin Page » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:43 am

I've always loved Quatermasster's Stores- a homage to the Quatermass TV/film series.

Martin.
Martin Page

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:04 pm

See You In My Drums - still like that one
Tim
Tim

Postby des mcneill » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:00 pm

chas wrote:They're great aren't they -
I didn't realise until more recent years that 'I Wish I Could Shimmy ..' wasn't quite as off the wall as I'd originally thought, when I came across an old 50's recording called 'I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate'! I also re-call 36-24-36 was considered in those days as the perfect female measurements (I'm sure that's changed these days!).

Another one that tickled me was that the b side of 'The Third Man' was 'The Fourth Man'! :lol:
Keep them coming...

I think a certain Miss Monroe may have been the inspiration for 36-24-36,certainly inspired me!
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Next

Return to The Shadows