SUGGESTIONS FOR SMALL STUDIO SPEAKERS??

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

SUGGESTIONS FOR SMALL STUDIO SPEAKERS??

Postby Stratpicker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:54 am

Now that we have had to downsize and the big PA that I used for playback via the PC is gone, I need suggestions for good, SMALLISH but REASONABLY PRICED studio/PC speakers. Mains driven is fine.
I am using a set of Creative Inspire P380 at the moment which are great for playing back pre-recorded music BUT the tweeters cannot handle the "Live" Dynamics when I play my guitar via Korg Ampworks through the PC (via Mixer).They rattle and distort like crazy unless I have the volume quite low.
Any suggestions please.
OR - any one here selling something suitable?
cheers
Ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR SMALL STUDIO SPEAKERS??

Postby RayL » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Your Creative system is a sub and two small satellites. I would suggest that to get the dynamic capability you are looking for you need two full-range speakers. What is your budget? Over £100? Over £200? More?

Would this Edirol pair count as smallish, for example?
http://www.imuso.co.uk/Studio/Studio-Mo ... Blue-(Pair)

My own recent choice was a pair of Mackie MR8 (150w biamped each) but is this perhaps more than you are looking for?

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Stratpicker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Hello Ray
thanks for the reply.
My budget would be sub £100 !
The Edirol are excellent but just too expensive. I probably dont need more than 30 watts a side anyway as the room is only 8ft x 7ft.
Apart from when playing to my BTs via Korg Ampworks, the other main use is to "check" the Mix of a sound file which is usually done on phones initially (to stop the rest of the family hating the tune before I've even finished it LOL!!) and listen in "open air" that it still sounds OK.
The Sub on the Creative is really good, its those titchy treble speakers that let the side down when I play the guitar" Live".
cheers
ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby Bojan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:42 pm

I have a great set of Altec Lansing PC speakers with which I am very satisfied. However, most experts agree that the absolute best PC speaker (in your price category) is Logitech's Z-2300.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-pc-speakers/

price: around $150.00

Boing!
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby Bluesnote » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:24 pm

I use the Bose pc speaker system. Plenty loud and great clarity for a medium sized room. Just under 200 quid.
Bluesnote

Return to The Shadows